Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senate Approves Levy Appointment to Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission
SALEM, Ore.-The Oregon Senate yesterday unanimously approved the executive appointment of Barbara "Bobby" Levy to represent Oregon's 2nd congressional district on the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Levy will replace Medford attorney Don Denman who has served on the commission since 1997. She will begin her duties at the commission's Jan. 11th and 12th meetings in Salem.

"Bobby Levy will be a great fit for the fish and wildlife commission," said Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski. "As a fellow angler and outdoors enthusiast, I know she will work hard to protect Oregon's natural heritage and manage vital state resources wisely."

A native Oregonian, Levy lives in Echo, near Hermiston. She and her husband Bob Levy manage a family farm near Hermiston. Levy describes herself as a homemaker, educator and farmer's wife. She taught business classes at Blue Mountain Community College for the last eight years and continues to stay involved in education as a substitute teacher for the Echo, Stanfield and Hermiston School Districts.

Levy holds two masters degrees: one in Teacher Education from Eastern Oregon University and one in Business Administration from Portland State University where she also earned her Bachelor's Degree.

"It's a testament to Bobby's management abilities to have advanced her education while raising a family and running a farm," said Marla Rae, chair, Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Levy believes her breadth of experience will be an asset to the commission and will rely on her communication and decision-making skills to guide her through the issues.

"I look forward to working with stakeholders, fellow commissioners and the hard working staff of ODFW on the complex and important issues facing the commission," said Levy.

According to Marla Rae, Levy's life experience and communication skills provide her with the problem solving skills necessary to excel at the position.

"Bobby Levy brings an impressive array of life experiences to the commission. She is grounded in common sense and has a deep passion for Oregon and its resources," Rae said.

Commissioner Carter Kerns of Pendleton, said he believes Bobby Levy will represent all of Oregon responsibly and with great integrity.

"She is a highly accomplished woman with a keen intellect, who is deeply interested in natural resource issues," Kerns said.

Levy and her husband have four grown children. She was brought up to appreciate and take advantage of the many hunting and fishing opportunities throughout Oregon.

"Twenty-five years from now, I want to be able to say I helped my children and grandchildren enjoy a lifestyle as rich in natural resources as the one I enjoyed," Levy said. "My goal is to do what is right for future generations of Oregonians," Levy said.

The seven-member commission sets fish and wildlife policies for Oregon and oversees the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife