Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glue your head man
I used to apply head cement to all of my flies. I would tie up a bunch of flies and then go back and glue all the heads. After a discussion with some friends I realized that one of them was right. Probably right. I was wasting my time gluing the heads because the fly was either torn up beyond use or the fly was lost before an unglued head would give way. Since I tend to loose flies to the bushes and some times to the fish so I decided to stop applying head cement to the heads.

What do you do and think?
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there Scruffy_Fly at a recent fly show I saw a gadget that would be right up your alley. It is a metal devise with a sharp edge. One places it at the end of their fly rod then places the hook end of the devise over the branch that is holding one's fly. Then by pulling on the cord the branch is cut and down comes your fly. Forgot what the name of the gadget is or whom is was made by. Here is sort of what it looks like. Don't remember what the part that sits on top of the rod looks like.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=20098;]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I know some people that could level a forest with one of those gadgets. Like my ol' man on the Provo.LOL Kinda a funny visual. All these trees and bushes with no branches....______ been fishin here[laugh][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod.

Most of the time I can not find where I lost the fly at or it way above my fishing pole's length. I thought about making a device then I decided I probably would end up breaking the tip of my fly rod trying to retrieve a two dollar fly. Decided that If I could not get it by climbing, jumping, or flicking it off then I was not going to get it.

The foolish thing is I will not risk my fishing pole but I will risk my arm or leg trying to climb for the fly.

I am just as likely to retrieve some elses fly out of the bushes or trees as I am to get my own. There has been a few times I have retreived someone elses fly while going for my own. but in the proccess, a boomerang branch has flung my fly off into never never land or broken my tippet so I can't find out where my fly is at.

The last time that happened I retrieved someone elses midge dry flies along with tippet and a complete leader and part of a cortland loop connector but ended up breaking my fly off of my tippet. I last saw my fly arching through the air into another tree. Almost fell backwards off the bank and tree when twisting my body to watch my fly sail away. the dumb things we do.
[signature]
I think all of us have been at this place at one time or the other.. few pine trees at the lake where I fish just love my flies.. I do try to retrieve and save.. but sometimes those damn trees get the best of me.. [unsure]

by the time I get done fighting the tree I have to take a breake and rerig everything.. and usually.. I end up right back where I started.. [unsure]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[reply]
.. and usually.. I end up right back where I started.. [unsure]

MacFly [cool] [/reply]
And we have all done that multiple times in the exact same spot.....
[signature]
I'll snag a fly or two to that....[sly]

MacFly
[signature]
I use head cement on every thing it tie. I have to admit I am not as skilled a fly crafter as my buds here.

I tend to keep flys for a long time. If I find one that works and it catches a fish I take it back home and mount it on the wall and use it for a pattern. I never get two to look alike, [angelic]
[signature]
I used to fly fish on the north fork in Idaho, near Ashton, and the swallows out eating the hatch would occasionally snag your fly midair, and you'd hook one. That was a bit, er, strange, having a bird on the end of the line. Not sure what the cure for that is.
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]I used to fly fish on the north fork in Idaho, near Ashton, and the swallows out eating the hatch would occasionally snag your fly midair, and you'd hook one. That was a bit, er, strange, having a bird on the end of the line. Not sure what the cure for that is.
[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Been there! I fish under the bridge up by Mack's Inn and caught several Mud Larks. Remember going into a back cast at thinking what the heck was that, when I saw this big black blurr go by. My line was wrapped all around him, I didn't have gloves and therefore did not want to touch him. So, I shook my line and thank God the hook wasn't in him, he came unraveled, floated down the river about 75' then took off.[cool][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Mud lark, yes, I stank corrected. That's what I caught. Not a great fighter, and too many bones to eat.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Too bad I didn't know about that area around Ashton a few years ago. I got as far North as Teton where the fishing wasn't that great. Later I headed over the mountains to the Snake North of Jackson. Fishing there was pretty good. If I ever get back to that part of Idaho will plan on getting up to Ashton.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Ashton is GREAT! Where a lot of the tournies are. Three Rivers Ranch - Lonnie are great people also.
[signature]
Yeah, if you ever get back that way, let me know. There is an area on the river by a little town called Chester that is excellent. Upstream of the Chester Dam AND below it is good. There used to be some huge 'bows in there, and since the majority of the fisherman were fly/catch-and-release, it's my guess there are still good fish there. Not a lot of slack water for worm fishermen. Almost all of the river can be waded and if you get out a ways into the deeper rapids/riffles there are some black-jawed rainbows that will give you a mighty tug [sly]
[signature]