Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Advice - Fishing off of beach in west palm & Jupiter
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to salt water fishing and am reaching out for advice from some of you veterans on this forum.

I recently received a 8" Star Rod and Shimano Seamaster IV as a gift and would like to put it to good use. I am interested in trying to catch some fish at the beach, for the time being I am not too concerned with the species that I will be going for. I simply want to get out there and have some fun and hopefully land a BIG one [Image: smile.gif]

So my questions are pretty much. What can be caught off the beach and what type of bait/tackle should I be using? Should I be purchasing my bait or can it be caught live with a bait casting net? What is in season right now, when is the best time of day to go?

Also, what are some good spots? The first area that comes to mind are the beaches near John D. Macarthur. I have been told that there are a lot of sharks in this area. Another is blowing rocks in Jupiter.

I am just hoping to get some guidance here so that I have some sort of clue the next time I head out to the beach with my new rod.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Dave
[signature]
I cant give you any spicific info, but the bait you will be using is shrimp, mackeral. You can catch just about every species except maybe marlin.

dont forget to target the peirs. lots of excilent fishing to be done from there.....
[signature]
Hey there partner, and welcome to BFT! You should have alot of fun off the beaches there in Florida, and with just basic rigs.

A standard 2 hook bottom rig will work. This type of rig has a weight on the bottom and two hooks suspended above. I would say a #4 or #2 hook would be just fine with a 4 oz pyramid sinker. Though i've not fished the particular beaches in florida you're at, that's a pretty basic east coast rig. If you want to play with small sharks, you can beef it up to a 2/0 or 4/0 hook.

As for bait, it really depends. I'd say if you're going after the smaller fish, use the smaller hooks and maybe some cut and peeled shrimp. Or, up size your hooks and use some fresh cut mullet or menhaden, even large cut peices of squid produce fish.

Try to cast your rig just past where the waves are breaking. That seems to be the all around best area for catching fish. Don't be affraid to wade out into the water to achieve this, besides, that's why you're in florida right? Don't fear the sharks, they won't nibble on you during your wade. All around, i'd be using fresh cut fish, especially menhaden. It's oily and fish of all species love them.

Any location from the beach with structure neighboring or in the area is good for beach fishing. Around piers is excellent, around rocks is excellent.

I hope this helps out! If you have anymore specific questions, don't be affraid to shoot me a private message! Good luck!

Bryan
[signature]