Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
My buddy southutdukhunter told me about this site and I have to say its a great site with a lot of info. I spent a lot of my time chasin bass, crappies, redfish and big catfish [Smile] before I moved here 4 years ago.

Now SUDK has got me hooked on Fishlake and its been a lot of fun learning to ice fish and how to catch some big splake. Me and the kids have also got to fish some of the small creeks and other lakes around Central Utah and its a lot of fun. I do have a question in reference to trout fishing - What is pop gear? I hear folks say they were using pop gear and I don't have a clue. When speckled trout fishing on the coast we would sometimes use a surface popper in front of a live shrimp but I do not think its the same.

Thanks and the photos of the big macks and cutts are awesome. Those cutts are georgous fish.
[signature]
welcome extex !! you'll like it here, lots of great folks . . .

pop gear is for trolling, its spinerblades and beads - like 3 foot + worth, then your bait/lure on the end . . .

im sure somebody else thats really knowlegeable will give us all all the particulars . .

i do know standing from shore watching almost every guy in a boat on small trout lakes doing this that it must be an effective way to find fish . .

sm
[signature]
Hey Extex, good to have you along. Pop gear? Farming equipment. Big bladed steel strands drug behind your tractor, churning up the ground behind. The idea is you cultivate the water in front of your lure so that the lure you drag behind is prepared and primed for harvest of fish. I dont use it, those big spinning blades put so much drag on your rod that you better have a stiff, long rod. Makes the fight of the fish feel too soft for me and hasnt increased my production so you wont see that farming equipment on the end of my line.
[signature]
Always good to have another person here from the southern part of the state, we look forward to reading your post.
Pop gear comes in a big variety of sizes and types, from a foot to several feet long. Its main purpose is to draw fish to the flash and to give the idea that bait fish are there. If I have to use pop gear I usually try and keep it small because of the drag it gives and the extra weight cuts down on the fight of the fish. As you might guess you need a boat
to use pop gear but it might work with a float tube or such but I've never heard of someone trying it that way. WH2
[signature]
eh scott...its good to see you..Smile

great description mike...my dad use to call them "ford fenders"....
[signature]
Ford fender is one of several different types. WH2
[signature]
Hey Extex! Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll love this place. Everyone here rocks! Good luck in all your fishin' trips.
[signature]
Welcome to the utah forum extex nice to have you here.
[signature]
[#ff0000]Cheers and welcome to the neighborhood! I would pay good money to see someone try to cast pop gear from the shore! It is not my first choice either although I pack around a lot of it. When you know they are there but having a tough time talking them into giving up I will give it a try. Pop gear or "cow bells" as we say here in Utah are a series of spinner blades with anywhere from 3 to a dozen blades usually starting with bigger blades first then getting smaller towards the end where a length of leader is attached. The leader can be anywhere from inches to yards long followed by your lure. You can have multiple lures in line also but I think the most number of hooks per line in Utah is two. They are like any other spinner blade. The fatter and rounder they are the faster they spin at slower speeds and create more drag. Sometimes for that reason you limit your lure selection. The longer thinner blades you can troll faster with less drag and less resistance bringing in a fish (my preferance). You can also get them with blades as big as your hand or as small as a string of mepps. Some folks will just trail a nightcrawler behind a string with success. They might resemble a string of fish with the little vulnerable one struggling behind to catch up to invoke a strike, or just to get those plankton eating Kokanee's with the bad tempers really excited by the time your lure goes by. The real challenge is getting all of that hardware out of your stupid net when you get a nice thrashing fish to the boat! I have used them at Fish Lake but never out of necessity. It's just another way to relax and enjoy. [/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[signature]
WELCOME TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS!

Was wandering wat was your stomping growns down in the Great Lone Star State?

If you got any tips for the Texas anglers come on over to the Texas board now and then to post them.

Again: WELCOME ABOARD!
[signature]
Pop Gear -Water tillage - I can handle that -farming is in my blood [laugh]

Thanks for the welcome and the replies - this is a neat place for sure.

SSOR - my old stomping grounds is around LaGrange - Colorado river, Fayette lake, We helped stocked quite few tanks around there with Florida strain LMB to get permission to fish. We usually made one or two trips a year down to South Padre to fish. I don't know which pulls harder or is my favorite a bull red or a big ol yella cat. - If I ever hook into one of these monster Makinaws up here I might have another favorite[Wink]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile] Nothing like the drag being ripped by a big lake trout. Welcome aboard and have fun with info you can gain from this site.
[signature]
Hey Scott glad ya made it I seen gulfstream (Stan) gave ya a howdy doo to Smile
[signature]