Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hooks/jighead for plastic
I fish ultra light right now, and ordered some 1" soft plastic curly tail grubs. They are smaller than I anticipated, and so I am wondering what single hook and what jighead size you all would recommend for these little plastics. They are 1", curly tailed, and only about 1/8-3/16" diameter.

I would like to rig a couple up behind a spinner, will use some on RR jigheads, and some on plain round head jigheads.

I haven't picked up any single hooks yet, so size, make and type suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Probably size 6 or 8 ring eye hooks, depending on the length of the grub "body" and the thickness. Also, there are different hook designs. some have longer shanks or narrower gaps in the "same" size hooks. It can take some experimentation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you use small spinner bait hooks, or #085 ring eye bait hooks from Eagle Claw, they have smooth shanks. To help keep plastics from sliding down the shank you can wrap a few turns of thread on the shank to create something to provide friction. Vinyl jig enamel over the threads will keep them in place.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You would need to coat the thread with epoxy as well, right? So the jig paint and soft plastic don't react?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you do a good "whip finish" on the thread, you actually don't need to coat it with anything. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, you are right. Epoxy will not react with the solvents in the plastics. The vinyl jig finish is okay for short exposure but will be affected after allowing a plastic to touch it for any length of time.[/#0000ff]
[signature]