Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Bass Fishing Program Expands For 2007
Competitive fishing may soon have a prominent role in college sports, complete with scholarships and inter-conference play, as Fox College Sports (FCS) has announced plans to greatly expand the National Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship (NCBFC).

In 2007, the program will be boosted to include up to 15 preliminary fishing tournaments around the country in advance of the national championship to be held next fall, accompanied by broadened telecast coverage.

"We're pleased to showcase college bass fishing to a national audience," says FCS executive vice president and GM David Rone. "We had a great response from the BoatUS NCBFC tournament held (in October) in Texas, and we're looking forward to giving these students a national platform to display their skills."

The 2006 inaugural NCBFC included 41 two-person teams representing 24 schools. Top colleges and universities from well-known conferences like the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC had a prominent presence in the debut. All competed for part of the $35,000 in prize money and for bragging rights as the best fishing school in the country. The North Carolina State team won the championship title and the first place prize of $12,000.

The three-day event had all the fanfare of any major college sports championship, including television cameras filming the tournament for a new series about the NCBFC. The first show is scheduled to run on FCS on Wednesday, January 10 at 8 p.m. EST and will continue weekly at the same time. Each telecast will highlight the competition and provide a behind-the-scenes look at the angler teams and the schools they represent.

"These kids and their stories are what really make this show special," says Wade Middleton, the on-camera host. "How they got here, their trials and tribulations along the way, and why they even came in the first place are as fascinating as the challenge of fishing itself."

"Fishing is a unique opportunity for me to compete in a sport at the school of my choice where I couldn't otherwise because I don't have the skills to participate in basketball, football, baseball or such at this level," says Chip Porché, a freshman at the University of Oklahoma. "Just about any college student with the desire has the chance to fish the NCBFC, win prize money and end up on national television."

The full 2007 FCS tournament schedule will be announced next month. The championship will return to Sneaky Pete's Marina on Lake Lewisville near Dallas, October 22 - 27. For more information on the collegiate fishing program and participation requirements, visit FoxCollegeSports.com.