Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazatlan Panga fishing reportDEC19th
My third day fishing in Mazatlan consisted of bottom fishing in a Panga on the reefs! We were headed out to a certain point by compass. My guide and friend Ramone said this is a good area for Spanish mackerel. We will keep our eyes open if we see them working the bait fish we will try and fish for them. It was not very long that I looked far to the left and saw something happening. It was a little windy and we were headed into the chop so Ramone was watching ahead and guiding the Panga!Hhe had not noticed, look over there Ramone what is that the birds are dipping at the water but also there were fish jumping out of the water. That is when my guide said ok we are going to work that area those are Spanish mackerel they are chasing sardines to the top! He quickly rigged 2 small fly’s we let them out about thirty feet or so behind the boat. Ramone explained to me to twitch them a bit rapidly like a darting bait fish it was not very long before a mackerel slammed that fly. They are quite aggressive for a fish there size they were all about 20 inches long and 2 to 2 ½ pounds but good fighters we circled the school and the action continued I was pulling them in one right after the other it was a lot of fun. Then I hooked some thing a little bigger this fish was taking out drag and making hard fast runs Ramone said maybe you have a big mackerel or maybe something else we had to play this one a little easier in the process of playing the fish we lost our school! The fish ended up being a mackerel about 4 pounds we had caught about 20 of them in a very short time. We hunted for more for about an hour them my guide turned on his GPS and we headed for a reef he anchored us a an exact location and we drop lines rigged with double hooks and shrimp to the bottom there for the next 3 hours we caught Red Snapper,Grouper,Triggerfish,sheepshead,pout and a little bit of everything. They were biting constantly till Ramone said time to go. Now that our time was over I could not wait to get back to shore I knew exactly what I wanted to do with some of the fish I caught. One of the best things about Mazatlan is that many of the hotels and restaurants there will prepare a great meal of your catch! One of such, is a restaurant named Carlo’s & Lucia’s right next to the Holiday it is easy to find they have great food good service and I am parcel to there seafood. They prepared me a fantastic fish dinner with so much food I could only eat about a third of it so I took the rest for lunch the next day This type of warm friendliness only adds to make trips filled with found memories for those wanting to experience them!
[signature]