Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel seat sizing
When building a rod from a blank, how do I know which size reel seat to use (15mm, 16mm, etc.)? Do I look at the butt dia.? Or do I have to get the blank measure up, and then check the dia?
[signature]
just measure the dia. where the reel seat is to be place. most reel seats have what they call Arbors under them. they are small
graphite rings that take up the space between the rod and the reel seat. you match the outside dia. of the arbor to the inside dia. of the reel seat. the arbors have to be reamed to fit the rod kinda like the cork handles. most reel seats have about 4 arbors spaced out under them. one at each of the far ends of the seat. hope this helps later chuck
[signature]
Thanks [cool]
[signature]
Arbors are great but the same effect can be found by using masking tape or Fiberglass mesh drywall tape. Just build up the diameter of the blank leaving several 3/4" spaces between the rows of layers of tape and epoxy the reel seat in place using a slow drying epoxy. I can honestly say that I've never had a reelseat come loose using this method.
[signature]