Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New State Record Blue Catfish Caught - And Released
Eric Fincher of Mount Pleasant, North Carolina, recently caught and released a state-record blue catfish, certified at 89 pounds and 4 feet, 4 inches long. Fincher caught the big cat while fishing Badin Lake, a reservoir in Stanly and Montgomery counties. "I brought him in and pretty much went into shock," Fincher says. "He was too big for the net, but I told my wife I had to get him in the boat, he was a record setter. And somehow, we did."

Unable to find certified scales that afternoon, Fincher took the giant blue catfish to his father-in-law's house, where he made a makeshift holding tank by damming a nearby creek. That was Nov. 25.

On Nov. 27, certified scales were located and Lawrence Dorsey, a fisheries biologist with the Wildlife Resources Commission, was on hand to make things official. Fincher used an Eagle Claw medium rod with an Abu Garcia 6500 reel, fishing a live shiner at 18 feet in a 43-foot depth, on 15-pound test line, while trolling for striped bass.

"The next day, Nov. 28, I took him back to the lake and he swam right off," Fincher says. "I'm confident he's still in there and getting bigger."

The previous record of 85 lbs, caught at Lake Norman, was set in 2004.

To qualify for a state record, anglers must have caught their fish on a hook and line, must have their fish weighed on a certified scale witnessed by one observer, have the fish positively identified by a qualified expert from the Commission and submit an application with a full, side-view photo of the fish. For a list of all freshwater fish state records in North Carolina, visit the Commission's Web site, www.ncwildlife.org.