Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo Report 2-21
Just got back from Cabo, thought I'd post a short report on our trip.
we Fished gaviota X on Friday 2-21, after a WINDY Thursday night I'd had second thoughts about fishing, but since it was already paid for I figured we would just tough it out and see what we could find. the wind laid down somewhat by Friday morning but the swell was still up. We told the Captian we didn't want Marlin so I figured we would save some $$ for Bait... didn't matter the deckhand said it was needed, I disagreed, but paid the $20 bucks for 10 Giant Mac's for bait.
We setup the lighter tackle (30-40 pound) with small Tuna feathers, and cedar plugs, we ran Southwest about 5 miles when we spotted some Dolphin and trolled in their general direction, we got one hookup at that time (small YFT) followed by a triple hookup this time the fish were a bit bigger, 1 was about 20 pounds, the others and the rest of the Tuna caught that day were in the 10-15 pound range, which was just fine by me as I was really just looking for some BBQ fish and Sashimi for Dinner Friday night.

on a funny side note there were four of us on the boat that morning, Myself, my Father-in-law, and my Bro-in-law the fourth was the husband of a friend. This guy is just about as abrasive as 10 grit sandpaper one of these guys who has been everywhere, fished everything, knows it all, You know the type, his volume control is on 10 and the knob is broken off!.
anyhow heres the good part(s) as soon as we clear the harbor this guy gets really quiet... I don't think too much of it and go on with rigging feathers and helping Hector set the pattern by this time we're about 3 Miles off Cabo and the swell is about 6-8 feet with wind chop on top, not the worst conditions I've ever seen but a bit snotty after the first hookup Mr Sandpaper gets bit on my 800M with an Accurate 99 and 30 LB, the fish is ripping line and once it finally stops it's initial run he starts working it back to the boat, all of a sudden he yells "The Reel is Broken" "It won't wind"
I'm thinking, man I just rebuilt that thing, it's fine... I finally get my fish in and went over to see what the problem was, Oh, I see,
"Hey Mr. Sandpaper, try leveling the line on the spool!" (What a Donkey) Shortly after that we loose the dolphin and start trolling and looking again, the next sound I hear is BARRRRKKKKK, "Hmmm, I thought, I didn't see any Seadogs out here" Oh it's Mr Sandpaper Hurling all over my Internationals that are in the rack. THANKS... Hector looks down from the flybridge and says.. "eeeet's OK heeee's Chumming..."

Wait it gets better, I figure, hey we've all been sick right? but as for myself I just chosen to keep something in my stomach and keep on fishing, but not mr. Sandpaper, he says "I'm not feeling good and I want to go in" Oh, Man, what could I do? I'm a compassionate guy, I tell the Capitan and we go in, here's the best part, as Mr. sandpaper gets off on the dock I say "Got Cab Fare?" he say's yes, are you guys coming? HAAAAAAAhahah, See Ya, go hang out with the girls today.
after wasting about 2 hours we get back to wide open fishing on the football YFT's, and best of all we didn't have to listen to "Mr Sandpaper for the rest of the day!
Final total 15 YFT to 20 lbs and about 30 more released in about 5 hours of fishing time.
not a bad day of fishing for a windy Febuary day...

so much for a short report.
(Edit: Never did use one of those $2 Mackerel)
[signature]