Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dressed trebles
Hey,
I wanted to get your takes on using dressed trebles versus flies/streamers behind spinners/spoons. I had this discussion briefly with TubeDude, but I am curious as to what other lure makers do. I found that not only is making a dressed treble harder than it looks, but it is terribly time consuming as well. Though I would like some nice trebles to trail some basic spinners I have made, especially the recently lead spinner body models, it seems much easier just to quickly tie a simple spinner fly. I have checked a couple of different sources for technique on dressing a treble, and though a fairly accomplished tier, I still struggle getting enough material (swuirrel tail, marabou, etc.) on the hook, and spinning it and distributing it properly, while maintaining equal lengths to all portions I am putting on. Those three little hooks make it a challenge as well--kind of like sparring with the mother-in-law. I may come out on top, but I ain't gonna look pretty when it's over [Tongue] (my mum-in-law is actually fantastic, so j/k). Any thoughts or ideas?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hairing or feathering trebles is not that difficult...unless you try to do it by keeping one hook anchored in the vise and adding "dressing to all three "gaps". I start by clamping one hook, throwing a few loops of thread around the dressing on the top, and then undoing the hook and rotating it to the next hook bend. Then, I take a larger clump of hair or feathers and tie it to the second side. If you push the dressing down so that it straddles the uppermost hook, all three gaps are filled and you can finish the tie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no need to tie material into all three gaps. More difficult than tying a single hook shaft, but it can make a difference on spinners and when added as the rear hook on some hardbaits.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD,
Thanks for the post. So I understand you, you tie material on only two sides of the hook, not on three. You use enough material, however, to fill all the gaps (3) when pushed down. Do you allow the material to spin a little with each application?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yep. That's how I do it, and it works fine. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm sure that if somebody wants to work harder they could rotate the hook and tie a separate gob of dressing material into each hook gap. I doubt the fish will notice the difference.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well, the harder way, tying material into each gap, is what I did. Like I said earlier, I come up with my best idea, and then I need to do the opposite [unsure]

I think I now understand how the wheel was invented (if my ancestors were involved): every imaginable shape was tried, square, polygon, triangle, etc., until the only remaining shape left was the circle.

At any rate, here is a link with a pic of just a couple of spinners with dressed trebles. Practice, practice, practice...

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/m...rebles.jpg
[signature]
I am lazy, I just tie in one side. fill one gap. and call them bumble bees...

small bright yellew floating trebbles in mid spring are killer on pre spawn pan fish...
[signature]