Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird me again - Sage Grouse
By now you guys know that I'm not a cook. [Smile] I'm just an old guy that cooks my stuff when the wife is gone for a day or two, or more, since she has no interest in cooking out of the ordinary things other then what you buy from the store. She says, you kill it, you cook it and eat it. Oh well, what do you expect from a big city girl. [Wink]
Any way, I just cooked my only sage grouse of the season and it was great! I don't know where that stuff about sage grouse comes from but it was a wonderful bird to eat.
Prepared a stuffing of typical turkey stuffing, butter, onions, and garlic powder. Wrapped my whole bird in bacon, put in a casserole dish, covered it with a standard pasta sauce, put in my digital thermometer and put in the oven at 250 deg. Made some standard vegies on the side. Cooked the bird until my digital thermometer registered 141 deg. F. Took it out, cut off the breasts and legs, placed some sauce over it and added my vegies.
My personnel opinion, for what it's worth, is 3 things were important. The temperature, rare, wrapped in bacon and probably not an old bird. The rest of the stuff was just accessories to go along with it. I very seldom see cook books describing cooking to that rareness much less using a digital thermometer.[shocked] Everything is timed at a temperature which to me is very, very inaccurate and produces a wide variety of results. I use this approach for all wild birds including waterfowl. My meat was tender, moist, and wonderfully tasty.
What do you guys think?
Leaky
[signature]
The internal temp of the Grouse can be missleading. The general rule of thumb for game birds is to get the heat up quicker. It is recommended to cook them at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and then drop the oven to 350 for another 10 to 15 minutes or until birds are done.

A good tool for cooking game birds and keeping them moist is to use the oven bags and follow the manufactureres directions for preparing the bag. Keep the temperature in mind too. Oven bags usually do best in the 325 to 350 range and considering about 15minutes to the pound of meat for multiple birds or 25 minutes total for 1 bird.

There are several recipes on the board here for Sage Hen, Grouse and Quail. Feel free to use any of them that may interest your tast buds.[cool]
[signature]