Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the down hill slope!
There's is a wonderful time of year that is nearing now, a time of year when the fish start biting inshore, the crickets start chirping, and it's warm enough to hit the water with out freezing our extremeties off. SPRING!!!! We are rounding down January and before you know, March will be here and with it comes those wonderful 75 to 80 degree days.

I know my gear is ready for a much needed up grade. I have alot of tasks ahead to prepare for that famed first trip back on the water. I've got a 114HLW that needs spooled with fresh line. I have to make about a dozen more rigs for shark and a dozen more for live bait. I have to tear down a couple reels and repack them with heavy grease. It seems the preperation is never done. And no matter how much we try to prepare, we always forget something; and we always remember what it is on the way to the water. LOL, it never fails.

I just ordered a new transducer and hard mount for my smaller boat so I can use my X67C on both my boats. I had a Hummingbird on my smaller boat, but it croaked on me this season after 12 years of service. I suppose I got my money's worth out of it.

I'm going to order those bimini top rear poles that keep the top suspended when not in use, so I don't have to lay it down and sacrifice fishing room.

I'm also considering purchasing a med-lite spinning reel combo for light tackle reef fishing. Catching the bait is way more fun when you're using light tackle gear. I didn't win the lottery, so the Van Staal is out of the question. So i'm considering a smaller version of the Penn Spinfisher. I dig the all steel construction and the tough gears and drag. I'm pretty sure the Spinfisher is the all steel one, someone help me out with that.

I'm also dealing with a wiring problem on my center console. It's kinda gummed up under there, and I'm hoping that I can organize it a little better before something shorts out.

Anyway, these are some of the projects i'm hoping to undertake before the fishing season begins. It may not sound like much, but for married with 2 kids, it's a list a mile long. LOL, i'm sure some of you can relate. I couldn't even find time to enter TomC's christmas boat contest, SORRY TOM!

Anyhow, i'd like to know what some of our other BFT members projects are before the season kicks off. I know some of you don't have an off season depending on your location, but you can still share some of your tasks at hand. This is a great time to not only share your list of issues, but maybe get input from some of our other BFT members that might have some insight as to how you could complete your tasks. I know i'm always up for suggestions!
[signature]
[size 1]At this time of year I go through my gear and send out reels that may need cleaning and checking my lures and plastics to make sure I'm ready for march. Have started to make some improved tube&woorms for salt water with a spoon added that Tomc and myself will try this coming year. Rebuilt an umbrella rig that got eaten bad on one drift with wire and hooks for every tube. [ 9 blues possible with this rig] Come on spring. [Wink] [/size]
Here the temps will be in the 40's we hope.
[signature]
i need 48 hour days,and i dont think that would help.i want to fix some reels,tie up some rigs,and fly's.replace the floor in my boat,and try turning out some lures.but i decieded to start a part-time buisness,and that seems to be taking most of my time,along with my truck failing emissions,and now i have 30 days to fix it,so the boat is out of the garage and the truck is in,torn apart.and my real job keeps calling me in,and i am supposed to be laidoff.at this rate i might be ready by october.lol[shocked]
[signature]
If and when I really get some down time, I do go through and add lube to some of my spinning reels, I check the mechanisms and lube the gears on the conventionals, rotate mags on the Baitcasters and put some new clear coat on the rods that got the most abuse.

We have pretty good fishing most of the year except for those windy days. Other wise I am using Salt X on everything after every trip.

It's unfortunate that I can only hit the Salt on 3 days out of the week but I do get freshwater fishing in on the other days.[cool]
[signature]
I'm jealous![Sad]

LOL, I wish I could fish year around, even that many days a week.

What is "Salt X?"
[signature]