Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mighty Green
A friend (wasatch801) of min had heard there are some good waters to go drowned a few flies on below Fontenall and above the Gorge, is this true? Also what about down below Naughton (sp?). Just looking for somewhere not as crowded as it can bet down in the little hole area.

Thanks
Majja
[signature]
very good fisheries below those dams,they are not secrets any more so you will see a few Utahns and when it is really good it can be elbow to elbow. I think there are times when they are closed to fishing. check the link at the top of this forum "know before you go" for the wyoming dwr to get the regs. here is a pic of a fly that hammers them up there, it was designed by bryce beezer about 11 years ago specifically for the Hams fork. Mimmics chub minnow = Big rainbow food.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Jim, we had great luck on a fly just like that in the past. Use Orange thread and Pearl Estaz with the White Marabou tail in Nymph Sizes. Killer![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the info and on the fly tip. Know for those (me) that do not tie my own yet can the be purchased anywhere. We probably not be going up until spring time, but I will be sure to read the regs.

Once again thanks
Majja
[signature]
[black][size 3]Majja, we can probably work something out. My band will be up in Vernal the last weekend of April and I plan on taking a few hours Saturday to get up to the Green. That's if the owner doesn't get us drunk again Friday night.[/size][/black]
[signature]
If you can find a shop that carries: Pacific fly group flys they comercially tie that pattern. Jans in park city carry their flys. they may not have the pattern in stock but they can order them for you. Just ask for bryce bugger in size 6
[signature]
Hft thanks for the heads up. FG sounds good let me know when you will be playing and maybe Wasatch and I can swing out for the weekend, if I am not out of town for my job. I would love to here the band. And work some river with you and the boys.

Majja
[signature]
A couple of warnings about the Green below Fontenelle, and to some extent Hams Fork below Naughton. As you may be aware with Wyoming weather, the wind is almost always a concern. I have had many days on those rivers when I couldn't cast anything but heavy streamers with heavy line. I would guess that the wind has been an issue an average of 8 out of 10 trips to the Green. It can get awfully frustrating to make the trip and get blown out.

Also, the Green has some very nice fish in it, but the number of fish per mile is low. If you find the right riffles, however, you can find plenty of fish and some pigs to boot.
[signature]