Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feral Swine Update , Location Information
Hey everyone , let's wipe this threat out before it ruins our hunting .
The D.N.R. has been kind enough to let hunters take these animals , please do your best to assist them in ridding our state of the unwanted pests . Report any takes or sightings of the pigs .

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]In the last three months, feral pigs have been sighted or taken in these places:[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Gratiot County, north of Maple Rapids, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Clinton County, north of St. Johns, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Shiawassee County, north-west of Morrice, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Saginaw County, south of Marion Springs, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Branch County, east of Bronson, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Hillsdale County, west of Hudson, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Washtenaw County, north-west of Saline, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Cass County, location not specified yet, but said to be near State of MI land[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Livingston County, near Fowlerville, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Emmet County, location not specified yet[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Presque Isle County, north-east of Hawks, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Roscommon County, south-east of Houghton Lake, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Midland County, west of Sanford, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Alpena County, location not specified yet[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Osceola County, north of Evart, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Sanilac County, north-east of Cass City, MI[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Ogemaw County, east of West Branch, MI[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]It would be my suggestion to locate on a map, State Game Areas near these locations, to look for feral swine, or contact local landowners and ask for permission to hunt their property. Currently, I have not been asked by any landowners for lists of hunters willing to take feral swine. Please check back periodically for updates. Also, for more locations, try contacting Al Rodriquez [/size][/font][url "mailto:RodriquezA@michigan.gov"][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]RodriquezA@michigan.gov[/size][/font][/url][size 3][font "Times New Roman"] with the Michigan Department of Agriculture, as he may have additional locations where feral pigs have been sighted. Here is a link to our Emerging Diseases Website for more information on feral pigs in Michigan and the U.S., and Counties open to feral pig removal. [/font][/size][url "http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases"][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases[/size][/font][/url]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]For questions regarding regulations for going out after feral pigs, like what dates you can hunt, or firearms you can take in the field, etc. please contact your local DNR conservation officer. Here is a link to the DNR Law Enforcement Division webpage. [/font][/size][url "http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-42199---,00.html"][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-42199---,00.html[/size][/font][/url]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I hope this information helps. If you see feral swine, or hear of a sighting please call my office or send me an email. My contact information is listed below. Thanks and good luck.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font] Kristine Brown
Laboratory Technician
Wildlife Disease Laboratory
Wildlife Division
Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources
(517)336-5047
[url "mailto:brownkr@michigan.gov"]brownkr@michigan.gov[/url]
[signature]
The feral swine in Michigan have been consistantly around Privately
Owned Cervidae Ranch facilities. Two of the most populated areas are in
the Backus Creek Flood Area (Backus Creek State Game Area) in Roscommon
County between M-18, I-75 and M-55.

The other area of high concern with documented evidence of sightings and
multiple shootings is the Gratiot-Saginaw State Game Area. The southern
most part of this state game area.

In both of these areas, feral swine have been reported to have been
sighted and killed on private property. Due to other issues, we can not
devuldge that information yet.

As more information comes regarding notification of a more detailed
area, we will be more than happy to provide that to you.

Again, if and when you go hunting for these animals, obide by all Mich.
DNR hunting laws and regulations. For hunting purposes, use the proper
firearm for what you are legally hunting. Due to there are no hunting
regluations and that feral swine in Michigan are classified as
livestock, you must fall back to match the type of game you are hunting
with the firearm to hunt it.

Please contact me for any further questions and of course, report any
sightings and or killings of feral swine in Michigan. Thank you for
your interest.

Al Rodriquez
Regulations Manager / Compliance Officer
Animal Industry Division
Michigan Department of Agriculture