Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic set for March 23-25 in Columbia
The [url "http://www.psclassic.com/"]23rd Annual Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic[/url] will be held at the State Fairgrounds in Columbia March 23-25. Doors will be open from noon to 8 p.m. Friday, March 23; from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, March 24; and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, March 25.

New and returning major attractions for 2007 are “Twiggy—The Water Skiing Squirrel,” “The SwampMaster” Alligator Show, Okefenokee Joe, Roark Ferguson and Joe Kelly’s display of North American Wildlife Collection and Southern Whitetail Collection. Also in 2007, the Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic will feature its second archery contest where participants may bring their own bow and arrows and compete in an archery contest sponsored by the Palmetto Archery Federation and the Lake Marion Archery Club.

For more information on the Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic, call the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Columbia office at (803) 734-4008.

Admission to the 2007 Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic is $6, and parking is $2. Seniors 60 and over get in for $5 while children 10 and under are admitted free. Visitors bringing five canned-food items for Harvest Hope Food Bank receive $1 off admission.

The DNR’s education staff and volunteers will be on hand to help kids catch a catfish at the highly popular SC Reel Kids Fishing Pond. “Kids can fish for free and sign up to join SC Reel Kids, an educational incentive program that teaches angling, ethics and aquatic resources,” said BeBe Harrison, DNR aquatic education coordinator. “Not only will they have fun fishing at the Classic, if they are already a ‘Reel Kid’ and bring their license by the Reel Kids booth, they will receive a special prize.”

Classic-goers will find more than 300 exhibitors on site with the latest fishing, hunting and outdoor equipment for show and sale. Several free events include special seminars on deer hunting by South Carolina’s own Joe Kelly, snakes by Okefenokee Joe, and native amphibians and reptiles; DNR’s Take One Make One trailer with air rifle and electronic shooting ranges and Bass Tub fishing technique demonstrations. Richland County Sheriff’s Department will also set up their I.R.I.S. and Kid Print program with hours running from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday, and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sunday.

The Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic is sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources, Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund, Carolina First Bank, WIS-TV, WCOS Radio, SportsTalkSC, Professional Printers, and The State Newspaper.
[signature]
That's a great heads up bro. I'm waiting for the dates on the childrens catfish tournament at Dargans Pond in Florence, SC. We attended the one they had last year and it was alot of fun. I posted about it a while back. I'll try and dig it up to see around what time frame it was.

That's a really good price for an event that big as well. 6 bucks is cheap, I figured it would be like 10 or 12. I went to the sportsmans classic a few years ago. That's where I got to try alot of different wild game. Among those things, frog legs and quail, both of which I hadn't tried until then. They were both very good, but I just couldn't get past the idea of the frog legs. Even though they were good, I don't think i'll eat frog legs again.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I can hear you on the frog legs thing. I've had it both in Louisiana and France. Yeah, it tastes like chicken so they say, but I'll personally stick with the cluckers. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]However, frogs, and the pieces and parts therefrom, do make pretty good bait for other tasty table fare.[/size][/black]
[signature]