Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dep weekly Fishing Report
[url "http://cthuntnfish.com/viewtopic.php?p=8591&sid=0742c43989895950252ee22ab07dc4a3#8591"][Image: icon_minipost_new.gif][/url]Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:24 am Post subject: CT DEP ICE FISHING REPORT 1/31/2007 [url "http://cthuntnfish.com/posting.php?mode=quote&p=8591&sid=0742c43989895950252ee22ab07dc4a3"][Image: icon_quote.gif][/url]
CT DEP ICE FISHING REPORT
1/31/2007

SAFETY REMINDER: DEP reminds winter [Image: angler.gif]s that SAFETY COMES FIRST! Be aware that ice
thickness varies on all water bodies, due to a number of environmental factors, including in-lake water circulation patterns. Please check the ice carefully before venturing out and check repeatedly to make sure that ice thickness is sufficient. Always let someone know where you are going and when you’ll return.

ICE THICKNESS:
The following ice conditions have been reported by [Image: angler.gif]s (as of 1/30): Mashapaug Pond, 5-6”; Crystal Lake (Ellington), 3-5.5”; Bantam Lake, 5”; Red Cedar Lake, 6”; Scoville Reservoir,5”; Halls Pond; 5-6”, Highland Lake; 6”, West Hill Pond, 4-6”;Gardner Lake, 3.5-4”; Black Pond (Woodstock), 4.5”; Winchester Lake, 6-7”; Mansfield Hollow Reservoir, 5”; Pachaug Pond, 4”; Mt. Tom Pond, 4-6”; Black Pond (Middlefield); 4-5.5”, Lake Lillinonah; 6-7”, West Side Pond; 5”, Hatch Pond; 5”, Candlewood Lake (New Fairfield beach area), 3”.

ICE FISHING REPORT
Ice [Image: fishing.gif] in Connecticut began with an amazing list of active species & locations. Winter camaraderie on the ice is in full swing with [Image: fishing.gif] & cooking dominating the day as friends get together and socialize with others not seen since last year.

TROUT - For trout [Image: fishing.gif] try the following locations: Highland Lake (brown trout up to 18”), Mohawk Pond, Mt. Tom Pond, Black Pond (Middlefield), West Hill Pond (brown 16”). Some good trout
[Image: fishing.gif] reported from the West Branch Farmington River TMA and the Norwalk River WTMA (brown17”).

NORTHERN PIKE - Fishing for these monsters has been excellent with many fish being caught. Best reports are from Bantam Lake (many fish up to 32”), Winchester Lake (fish up to 30”), Pachaug Pond (36.5”), Mansfield Hollow Reservoir (including a 23.5 lb monster), and Wethersfield, Wrights and White Oaks Coves along the CT River.

PANFISH - Panfish are being caught in good numbers between the hours of 6:00 am-9:00 am for the early riser looking for cooperative quarry. Jigging with grubs on your favorite lure and moving from place to place is the way to go for these delicious fish. Locations to try include: Lake Lillinonah, Moodus Reservoir, Seymour Reservoir, Crystal (Ellington), Bantam, Red Cedar, Winchester, Coventry and Tyler Lakes, Halls, West Hill, Black (Middlefield), West Side, Fitchville and Hatch Ponds, and
Enfield Cove. Nice action for black crappie reported from Ashland Pond and West Thompson Lake.

WALLEYE – Good Walleye [Image: fishing.gif] reported from Coventry Lake (including a number of legal-size
fish).

CHAIN PICKEREL – Pickerel are a traditional favorite of ice fishermen. Excellent pickerel [Image: fishing.gif] is reported at Moodus Reservoir, Bantam (16”), Red Cedar, Highland (24”), Winchester, Coventry and Tyler Lakes, and Mashapaug, West Hill, Mohawk, Pachaug and Black (Middlefield) Ponds.

LARGEMOUTH BASS - Bass are being found at Moodus Reservoir, Mansfield Hollow Reservoir, Congamond, Bantam, Red Cedar, Highland (20”), Winchester and Mamanasco Lakes, and West Hill,
Mohawk, Pachaug, Mt. Tom, Pickett’s, Fitchville, Hatch and Pierrpont Ponds.

DEP WEEKLY FISHING REPORT
CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106
[signature]
Good report partner! [cool]
[signature]
Just when you think we wont be much ice this season, we get a blast of the past... yep this is what winter used to feal like when I was a kid, only it would start up in november and go though the midle of march...

I expect after tomarow you will have to update all the ice thicknesses. I will have to get out today to see what is happening out on the lake.

we got ice, and thats twice as nice...[cool]
[signature]
LOL, as cold as it's been that last few days here, I thought i'd be able to try out some "ice fishing." Imagine that, Ice fishing in South Carolina. Yeah right, there's almost no chance of getting my happy butt out on ice. [Tongue] Too coldddddddddddddd. Daddy likes it nice and warm, around 75 degrees or higher.

Hey Gregg, do you guys get Spanish Mackerel up your way? I got the heads up on some killer tactics for those guys at that seminar. Keep a look out on the saltwater board. Hopefully I'll have time this afternoon to get that info on there. If this work computer wasn't so old and slow, I could upload the photos and stuff here; but that's not an option. I couldn't even down load the boat video that TomC put on the boat board. This computer really sucks. [crazy]
[signature]
We get some Mackerel here in the spring but not the latino kind. [Wink] Atlantic Mackerel, but I haven't gone out for them in 35 years. They use to average 12-15inches. Not a big fan for the meat. Mackerel rigs jigged worked well for us.
[signature]
LOL, the "latino" Mackerel are very good eatting. With spanish, I actually prefer them fresh as to frozen. Unlike something like flounder, which is still pretty good after being frozen for a month. Spanish average around 2 pounds, but get in excess of 10 pounds. They are really strong fighters and pretty easy to target.

You need to take a trip down a little further south this summer. I'll take you out for some warm water fishing. [cool]
[signature]