Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powder paint how do you....
[#505000]Ok now it's time to get serious about making some tackle. I have sold all my birds and I am in the process of setting up a mini-tackletorium in their old 10'X19' foot room. (if I had all the molds and stuffs you have pat I would be dangerous with the amount of space I now have!!)[Tongue][/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I use both vinyl and powder paints to paint my heads. I like powder for a base coat and plain colored heads. It's cleaner and easier to use in my opinion. for the fancy smancy stuff I prefer the vinyl paints. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]My one conundrum I seem to have with the powder paints is what is the best way to heat the jig? What works for everyone else? I have tried a few methods and haven't found one I really like. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Candles put too much soot on the head. [crazy][/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I have't really liked the toaster oven method. If I am doing a large batch some of them tend to cool too quickly in the process. [crazy][/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Anyone have a soot free method they would like to share?[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have used a canned heat source called Magic Heat (by American Camper) the ingredient is diethylene glycol - used for camping and emergency heating or cooking. It burns cleaner and longer than alcohol. Use pliers to hold the jigs by the hook to avoid burning your fingers.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't use powder paints at all. BUT...if I did, I think I would pick up a "heat gun". They are highly recommended as a fast clean way to heat the jig head and then finish off the reheat on a one by one basis. Here is some info. Lots of sources on the internet and I am sure that they are readily available at the big orange store.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff] VT-1100 Heat Gun (About $50)

Our 120VAC 1200W heat gun has variable temperature capability from 250 to 1100 degrees F. It has a two speed air flow adjustment with a stand for easy hands-free use. It its ideal for use with Heat Shrink Tubing, Removal of Paint, Softening of Adhesives. [left] Basic Hot Air Tool:[/left] [ul] [li]Power consumption 1200W [li]Variable temperature control dial [li]Temperature range 250°F to 1100°F [li]Air flow adjustment via two-step switch [li]Built in safety stand [li]Two Speed Motor [li]High Quality Element [li]Weighs only 1.6 lbs. [li]120 VAC / 10 Amp. [li]UL & CSA Approved [/li][/ul]
[Image: vt1100.jpg]
[signature]
$50 for a basic hot air tool? hmm, can I get the same for the mum-in-law? [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nope. You can't buy those outright. You just keep paying and paying.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Harbor Frieght has one for $20 that goes on sale every couple of months for $10. I gave mine a real workout stripping house paint and it's still going strong. 'Course if/when it dies, I'm only out ten bucks.
[signature]
we just bought 2 of them at work and they hold up really well with 9 mechanics abusing them, we also have a 100 dollar one and its not as good in my opinion.
[signature]
That's really not what I needed to hear...[unsure]
[signature]
[size 2]I like to use a alcohol burner, no soot no mess. It is a little slow till you get the hang of it. To go real cheap get a liquid candle and put alcohol in it with a eye dropper. I sharpened a small bit to poke the paint out of the eye, than I take a sharp pointed twizzers to clean the eye out. I then eye em with a silver or red sharpie ( like a magic marker) and put the black dot in for the eye with another sharpie. I then coat the head with 60 minute epoxy. They look better than you can buy, hope this helps! Works well for either vinyl or powder paint.[/size]
[signature]
I use both paints.
I use a small propane torch with a small flame to heat the head before dripping them in the powder. If you go this route you'll find NO soot and it only take a second or two to heat any head. One more thing, I like Powder painted heads for tube jigs. I have found if I leave vinyl painted it comes apart if the head is left in the tube for an extended period of time.
I dont like Powder as far as the everyday jig head. The powder is brittle and will chip easily. Vinyl is a better way to go for a "Jig head" not to be inserted in a tube.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No doubt about it. There are times and places for both powder and vinyl paints. The powder is tough and resistant to the solvents in soft plastics, but you can't get some of the exotic colors or patterns you can with liquid paints.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have used the small torches too, but unless you have a steady hand you can burn things up. Small lead heads can go from perfect to melted in seconds. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Your right, heres a time and place for both..
Your also right that small stuff gets hot VERY fast. I suggest everyone that wants to try this method just waving the jig head through the flame once or twice then try a dip into the powder. If the paint grabs hold your ok on the heat. If the paint bubbles or blisters your to hot. The ideal temp is to have the paint grab when the head is dipped (and the dip only lasts a split second) (in and out). After removing the jig from the powder the paint should then melt to a smooth surface. Some then bake their jigs in a toaster oven for an hour, I dont. While the jig head is still hot I merely ad any extra colors if wanted then pass the head through the heat again to lock it on. It takes practice..
One more thing, and while its a no brainer, use pliers or forceps etc... to hold the jig by the hook while heating and dipping.

I have to add that with powder when two, three or four color toning is done the blending point of the paint often looks far more natural than created with vinyl paint and a brush or dip.
[signature]
[#505000]I have set up quite an impressive "tackle shop" in the room my pet birds used to occupy. Along with my shop I have a "jigs only" toaster oven. I find baking my powder paint Jigs really locks the paint onto the head better than a quick heat and coat. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I've also been playing and found a "pre-bake" will get them hot enough to dip without worrying about melt or soot. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Other than highlights and specialty work I have found I really don't like the vinyl paint much. The ones I use don't hold their pigment very well and even thinned I feel like I am trying to paint with phlegm. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Anymore I do a base of my chosen color in powder and highlights, eyes, ect in Vinyl.[/#505000]
[signature]
As mentioned. There are good and bad when using powered or vinyl.
My biggest complaint with powder is its brittle and chips easily when the jig head comes in contact with rocks while fished. Its greatest advantage is (No Scent). And the fact it dont seem to be effected but the chems in soft plastic like Vinyl is.

Most of us that use Powder have a toaster oven to finish bake the coating (if needed). I have never had a problem with melt or soot while using a propane torch. And with the use of a Q-tip a person can be pretty creative with powder paint.
[signature]
[size 1]
Quote:[size 1]with the use of a Q-tip a person can be pretty creative with powder paint. [/size]
[/size][#505000]Hrmmmmm..... you've just inspired some ideas..... [Smile][/#505000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No, Gary, you should NEVER put jigs in your ears. Maybe a couple of matching ones for earrings.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use powder paints EXCLUSIVELY on all my jigs and love it -- no mess, no fumes and you don't have to worry about the consistency. How I normally paint:
Jigs 4 oz and up I preheat in an oven at 450 degrees.
3/4 - 1 oz jigs I pour, clip and dip while their still warm -- perfect timing really once you get it down.
Jigs smaller than 3/4 oz ALL YOU NEED IS A BERN-O-MATIC butane or propane cylinder torch. You can turn the heat WAY down and you'll paint like crazy and a long time on a bottle. I've used the same bottle now for about a year or more and it's still have full. I do mostly use the first two methods for painting but the bottle last and you can get the bottle and torch part for about 12.00 and replacement bottles cheap.
Check out some of the jigs in my saltwater section at [url "http://www.dragonflylures.com"]www.dragonflylures.com[/url] and you'll see some painted -- everything painted was done with powder coating. I also have an airbrush powder gun I've played with some -- just need more time. Any questions I'll gladly help anyone out.
[signature]
For an excellent heat source to heat the jigheads prior to powder (paint) coat them, use a heat gun, on the high heat setting. It has never failed me and I've been doing it that way for years. Simple grab the barb end of the hook and hold the jig head to the ent of the heat gun for a couple of seconds, rotate the jig head to the opposite side and hold it there for a couple of seconds. Apply powder coat paint per instructions on the bottle and hang the jig head up to dry. I make a bunch of them at a time and use a four slice toaster oven to bake on the paint. I use the upper rack from which to suspend the painted jig heads. I can bake at least 100 of them at a time. Make sure none are touching though or you will end of with paint mars. I set it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Good luck! I've never found a better way to paint jig heads than this method. There is no mess and no stress, and I'm able to make a few bucks along the way selling some of what I make. I use Indelible black markers for the eye dot on each side of the jig heads.
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard and thanks for chiming in. More and more guys are finding out about the heat guns and are using them for the powder paint. Ditto for the toaster ovens. I'm sure those things weren't invented for us lure makers, but we sure make good use of them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There are some good videos on powder painting and tips on YouTube. [url "http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=powder+paint+tackle&search_type=&aq=f"]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=powder+paint+tackle&search_type=&aq=f[/url]

If link doesn't work go to Youtube and search for Powder Paint Tackle