Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re painting old flat fish
a couple of years ago my grandpa gave me his old box of trolling lures. it included a few old pop geers and lots of old flat fish. he used to use these at deer creek, utah, in the sixties. some of them have no paint left at all, others have some paint but are in rough shape.

i am interested in painting these old lures and putting new hooks in them. they vary in size from about 1.5-6 inches. the colors im interested in are natural, green, or blue glow. i want to make them really glow in deep water!

is there a good source to buy these paints online? what would you experts recommend? i have never attempted this before, so any help will be greatly apreciated!

thanks guys!
[signature]
glow blue would be very good to use on them. id try and find it in a spray paint to do them it will make a better finish
[signature]
a blue glow would be sweet if i can find a good quality paint. ive noticed that some of the glow stuff (pre-made) from cabelas glows for about 10 seconds... not good enough!

reading through as many of TD's old posts as i can-- i found that he linked this website-

[url "http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/csi-vinyl-paint/380500.aspx"]http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/csi-vinyl-paint/380500.aspx[/url]#

they have a huge selection of vinyl paints that would probably fulfil my needs. (even a selection of glows... but, no blue glow that i can find) are these paints of good quality? will the glow last for awhile when trolled below the range of penetrating light? (50-100 ft.) any info, or personal testimonials, will be appreciated on this stuff!

thanks, bkidder
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Most of the glow paints are worthless. No matter what color the color of the material in lighted conditions, they tend to glow a pale green...for only a few minutes at best.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had been buying glow powder from EXTREME GLOW products, but they recently discontinued it. They had a great glue glow powder that stayed charged for a long time. I mixed it with clear jig enamel and painted it over a white base. Then, I top coated it with clear epoxy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I sold the last of the blue glow I had to Coldfooter, and he mixed some into the plastic lures he is making. He reported that the blue glow stuff was about the only thing they could get bites on at the Gorge during tough times. I have also heard that an old black lure with blue glow stripes works good on macks at Bear Lake at times.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I found a new source of glow powders and paints, but have not personally had a chance to try any of them yet. [url "http://www.glowinc.com/"]HERE IS THE LINK[/url] if you want to check them out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those old Flatfish are worth restoring...not just for sentimental value but because they work. Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks a lot for the info TD! i guess the search continues. i'll post up if/when i find a good blue glow paint!
[signature]
Hehe, I just KNEW you had something up your sleeve related to this post...sheesh...that head is gonna 'splode with all the fishing knowledge crammed in there [Tongue]
[signature]
well, i checked out that link you gave me TD. it looks like some good stuff, but its pricey!

[url "http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2"]http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2[/url]

i really like the looks of that blue glow. is 10 dollars for a 1/2 ounce about what i can expect to pay? how far does 1/2 ounce go?

thanks for all the tips and links!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]WOW. They are proud of that stuff. But, a half ounce to them is small business. The company I used to do business with had a minimum $30 order. I teamed up with other guys to order a batch and then split it.

The last buy I made was for a whole pound of the green glow powder. I got it for $30. Normally that would have been less than 3 ounces. I have enough to last me now.

It really does go a long way. You only need to mix a very small amount of the powder in clear paint to get a good glow. The inside of my tackle room glows like an airplane cockpit for hours after I shut the lights off at night. If I even leave a small fleck on my finger or fingernail, it looks like fireflies in my bedroom when I move my hands around.

Do you know Coldfooter? PM him to see if you can swing a deal on a small amount of the blue stuff. I sold him the last of what I had because I only use the green.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks a lot TD! i dont know coldfooter, but ive seen him on the boards quite a lot. i'll shoot him a pm and see if he can spare any for this poor fisherman!

again, thanks for all the tips!
[signature]
After ordering a few 1/4 ounce samples from Glow Inc I have to say I'm not to impressed with some of the product, yet very happy with others. The Ultra green, Great stuff, super glow and the same color as the green from Extreme. The Pure Blue also nice (simular in glow level and color to the blue from Extreme glow). The rest is what I would consider a waste of money..
[signature]
good to know coldfooter! i think i may order up some of the pure blue soon. do you think the vinyl will be as good as the powders? or, should i just get powder and mix it with a clear vinyl?

i really want to get these things painted up before i start fishing hard. i also want to coat some of my flashers and dodgers with it.

thanks again for the info guys!
[signature]