Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions Questions
This is going to be a long, drawn out line of questions, so "dig in" as the major would say.

1. I know when I finalize my purchase on my fly reel, it would be wise to get an extra spool or two to spool up different types of line. (I.E. floating or sinking) What types of line are high quality that would be good for a Warm climate, salt and fresh water applications. I'm looking at line memory, which in fly line, is effected adversly by climate. Being that i'm using the line in a bit of a warmer climate, i'm hoping that memory won't be an issue. I'm wondering if when purchaseing a sinking line, if it will have to be a specific type since the application is saltwater. Saltwater tends to make things that are suppose to sink or suspend to float, based on it's heavy density.

2. Once the fly line is spooled on the reel, how do I attach the leader and such. In other words, get me from spooling the reel to attaching a fly, including what terminal tackle i'll need as well. Talk to me like a 3 year old, and i'll find success. [cool]

3. I'm no fly tieing goo roo, even though I made a few with dog hair to catch bream when I was little. The only thing I know about flies is that you can coat the tip with candle wax and they will float. LOL So, with that said, I need some recomendations for flies for the following fish in freshwater:

Bream, Bass, and Gar

4. I also need recomendations for flies in saltwater. I'd like to try natural bait for spadefish, can you use natural bait with a fly reel? What I mean is, alot of times we "chunk" for fish. Draw them to the top with chunks of jellyfish or shrimp, sometimes live bait. Once they are feeding on top, we rig a spinning rod with a hook only and a piece of bait and "chunk" it into the feeding fish. I was also going to try fly fishing for top feeding spanish mackerel. Spanish like flash and commonly feed on small bait fish called "silver sides" that aren't much longer than an inch or two. Any ideas on a fly for them?

Thanks in advance BFT'rs!
[signature]
[#0000bf][size 3]Tarpon4me, there is a big difference between Salt and Freshwater line. I think you might want to go with the Salt version. Be sure and wash them off after every use.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]All the fly line companies make a Salt line. I know Orvis is a real good line and that is what I use. Plus the tapers are going to be different between the two. You are going to have to get a line for the species you wish to target.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]As far as a sinking line, you have several choices also. Density Compensated (sinks at the same rate all the way down with no belly), Wet Cell( forms a belly putting the fly up from the line for weedy bottoms) Shooting heads( fast sinking for rivers). Then you have the Intermediate, Type II, Type III so on for how fast the line will sink.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]I just purchase a new TYPE VII. One of the heaviest I have found. Will drop the fly like a brick getting it past all the little fish down to the big in a hurry.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]You also have your Depth Charge which is 70' of Intermediate and 30' of lead core weighted in grains depending on the rod weight.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]The lines are going to take serious practice. The dry line will be the easiest to get use to, but the heavier the line, you have to SLOW down and even cast to the side. People say they hate casting a weighted lines, it is because they don't practice to get that loop. It is harder, but, with practice can be a blast.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]Most of the lines come with a Loop to Loop connection on the end as does the Leaders. You just do a hand shake connection. If the line does not come with a loop, you can add the braided ones or nail knot a butt section and add a loop to the butt section.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]I take it one step farther, If I have a line with out the loop, I fold the line itself over forming a SMALL loop and wrap the end with fly tying thread (I use a bright color thread for a strike indicator). Coat the wraps with Knot Sense and they can go through the guides with ease.[/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3][Image: loop001.jpg][/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3][/size][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][size 3]As far as flies....local fly shop![laugh][/size][/#0000bf]
[signature]
Cool beans on the info. I figure either a floating line, or the phase one sinking line will do fine. All the fish i'll be targeting will almost always be on top or very close to it. So, I won't have to battle with the heavy weighted line, atleast not just yet.

I know Basspro has a killer fly fishing section, atleast the one here in Myrtle Beach, SC. It's a huge room of nothing but fly fishing equipment. I'll check that out first. [cool]

I know on the freshwater side, atleast for me, it'll all be top water; and i'll start out in small ponds as well. Fish in small ponds slam those top water flies and poppers. I tie them on my ultra lite and do my best to cast them out. LOL, I never get out too far, but they always catch alot of fish. [Tongue] With the use of a fly rod, i'm sure i'll be catching alot more fish in no time; since i'll actually be able to reach where I want to go. [cool]

Could I use a flourocarbon leader and attach it to the fly line? That would really make rig stealth. I was sitting here thinking of how deadly a live crickett would be on the other end of a fly rod. The little fella would just scoot accross the water. I'm all giddy now. [Smile]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Most definitely, In fact try making a taper (ex: 3' 8lb - 3' 6lb - 3' 4lb) that way they will turn over nice on the water. Use a Triple Surgeon's or a Barrel/blood knot to connect the material and a perfection loop.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]You need to PM me an address and let me send you one of my Furled leaders (let me know what weight). Put Xink on it to sink it or Gink to float it. They are about 6' long and you just attack 3' to 5' of flouro to them with a perfection loop. Never need to buy another leader.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I would love to see what you think of them.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A TYPE I and an Intermediate are going to sink about the same rate, I just really like the Cortland 444 Clear Camo because it is clear and don't need long leaders, plus it is the best I have found for not retaining memory.[/size][/black]
[signature]
hmmmmmmmm isnt using a live cricket not fly fishing.. now if you get one of the FG"s cricket look alike flies.. then do the skootching motion on your retrieve.. that would fly fishing..

and of course.. as always.. all in jest ... I am the newbie here so far be it for me to tell someone how to fish with a fly rod.. [Smile]

MacFly[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3]Most definitely, In fact try making a taper (ex: 3' 8lb - 3' 6lb - 3' 4lb) that way they will turn over nice on the water. Use a Triple Surgeon's or a Barrel/blood knot to connect the material and a perfection loop.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]You need to PM me an address and let me send you one of my Furled leaders (let me know what weight). Put Xink on it to sink it or Gink to float it. They are about 6' long and you just attack 3' to 5' of flouro to them with a perfection loop. Never need to buy another leader.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I would love to see what you think of them.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A TYPE I and an Intermediate are going to sink about the same rate, I just really like the Cortland 444 Clear Camo because it is clear and don't need long leaders, plus it is the best I have found for not retaining memory.[/size][/black] [/reply]

FG .. just a curious question on part of what you said here.. I assume you are using flouro as your tippet off of the furled or flouro leader.. soooooo.. is the extra cost of flouro tippet compared to mono tippet worth the cost.. what are the advantages/diSadvantages that would either justify or not justify the added expense of flouro tippet??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[size 3][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green]Hey there T4M - well that is great that you are planning to join the FSOA. [Fly Swatters of [/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green]America]. LOL. Looks like FGD covered just about everything that you need to know. By the way most reputable tackle stores will load your reel with free backing, add the fly line and a length of mono shock. They will loop the shock so that you can easily add your leader which as FGD mentioned most are looped these days. Any thoughts on reel & rod brands that you might be considering? Good luck my friend. If you really get hooked might just plan on putting your other rods to bed for a long sleep.[Wink][/green][/font][/size][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]
[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there T4M - well that is great that you are planning to join the FSOA. [Fly Swatters of America].LOL. Looks like FGD covered just about everything that you need to know. By the way most reputable tackle stores will load your reel[strike] with free backing, add the fly line and a length of mono shock. They will loop the shock so that you can easily add your leader which as FGD mentioned most are looped these days. Any ideas on reel & rod brands? Good luck my friend. If you really get hooked might want to put your other rods to bed for a long sleep.[/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][/strike][/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][strike][font "Verdana"][#000000]DR...just curious.. why did you cross most of yourself out??? [/#000000][/font][sly][/size][/green][/font] [/reply]
[/strike]
[signature]

[#002850]DR...just curious.. why did you cross most of yourself out on your last reply ??? [sly][/#002850]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][unsure]That happened automatically. Couldn't find a reason why that would have happened. I copied that post to M/S Word and the same thing happened. Wound up retyping the post all over again. The fishing Gods are know to have their gremlins o there doing their dirty work. Better here than on the water.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Understand.. think its called a strikethrough in word.. anyway.. when I originally replied I got the same carry over from your text.. that is why I went back out and did it as a seperate reply...

I am hoping dem fishing Gods are in a good mood this weekend.. maybe I can wet a line for a little bit...

MacFly
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Did the storm that came through yesterday hit you folks down there?[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
To answer your question macfly55, Yes. Flourocarbon is well worth the money. It doesn't matter if your targeting Yellow Fin Tuna off the coast of Hatteras or chasing trout in your favorite stream. If you're fishing for a species that is stereo-typically line shy, and you're not using flourocarbon, you're just another guy with a rod. (or girl) Using the right equipment is crucial, and flourocarbon is part of the right equipment.

Mono is formulated from plastic, plain and simple. Flourocarbon is different.

Fluorocarbon has near the same refraction rate as water, which is what makes is invisible in the water; and yes, it really is. Fluorocarbon is non-porus, so it doesn't absorb water. In alot of cases it has a smaller OD than mono and has much less stretch for solid hook sets. Being that Fluoro is a solid composition, it's not recommended for use on a reel.

Mono is good leader material, but it's far from invisible in the water, I don't care what manufacturer or color line. The only way to get less visability out of mono is to down size the pound test.

One acception to the rule is Yozuri Hybrid. Is a duel polimer line that combines fluorocarbon and nylon core mono properties; and it's alot cheaper. However, it's still not fluorocarbon. It's an actual fishing line, but makes a pretty decent leader material. It has pretty bad memory, especially in a colder climate condition, which is why I don't recommend it for spooling up a reel.

To make a long story short, if you're fishing for a species that is line shy, fluorocarbon is not only the best option, in my opinion, it's the only one. [cool]
[signature]
[#000080]Tarpon..thank you for the very informative response.. Ill be honest and say I did understand 98% of it.. and that is enough for me for now.. I will say this .. that between you and FG and several others you have convinced me to change over to flouro as a line to use as my tippet.. mind you.. not flouro tippet.. but line used as that.. FG gave me in depth info on lb vs #x sizes.. so I know what and how I will be using it..

This is why I love coming to this board.. and yes other ones too. you have such a vast pool of knowledge to draw on even for the simplest of questions..

thank you again for your time and the sharing of your expertise....

MacFly
[/#000080]
[signature]
I'll try and explain a little better. Ok, lets start with "refraction."

Fluoro has nearly the same refraction rate as water. In other words, light passes through it nearly the same way it does water. The light is distorted in the same way as it goes through. Mono disrupts light as it hits it, which dims the light or cuts it off completely. This is what makes mono, regardless of color, visible under water.

Next, "non-porus." Mono actually has tiny little pores (holes) and can actually absorb water, making it simulate the density of water and causing to suspend in the water. Fluoro has no pores, thus it sinks faster and maintains a true "track" in the water.

Also, being that it has no pores, and also based on it's chemical composition, it has much less stretch. Less stretch = solid hook sets; especially if your line is way far out from you. Think of it like this. Imagine tieing a hook to a rubber band and trying to snatch a hook into a fish's mouth with it. It's not going to happen because the rubber band is going to give too much for the force of your pull to be directed to the hook. But if you tied that same hook to a steel line, when you jerk the line, the hook is going in what ever it's against. Same concept. Mono is the rubber band, fluoro is the steel leader.

I hope this helps!!!! Let me know if there is anything else you don't understand. Though we convinced you to use the leader material, it's important that you understand why. You never know when you might run into a situation where you need to adapt to catch fish. Part of that adapting is understanding your equipment and fishing conditions. Besides, i'm sure you'll be helping me out soon. LOL, I may know alot about many aspects of fishing, but I don't know squat about flyfishing. Even though you may be new to it, you're already far ahead of me.

Thanks for the kind words though partner, but that's what this site is all about. We're here to help each other out. [Smile]
[signature]
Now you're making me wish I was in your area so I could invite you out for a beer or two.. [Smile]

while I did not expect further explanations it is again much appreciated that you gave them.. it not only helped me but it may of helped someone else who had a similar question that they did not ask .. so.. as you said.. the board is for sharing of information based from a common ground.. fishing. in particular fly fishing..

now.. as far as my advice on fly fishing.. Id say with my limited experience.. ummmm dont drop your hat in the lake.. dont slip on the bank and pull your thigh muscle.. and dont hook yourself with your own fly (always wear eye protection.. especially around me).. and .. let me see....

ahhhhhhhh lastly.. dont give up.. it all comes with practice and I have been told that once you hook into that first good fish with a fly fishing rig.. you are hooked forever.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Anytime you're in the great state of SC, you make sure and shoot me a PM or email. I'll take you up on that beer. Actually, i've been favoring the Captain Morgan and Coke with a shot of vanilla. [cool]
[signature]
Id even spring for a couple of round the cap'n n coke with a drop of v.. course this would all occur after we have wet a line and brought a few to hand correct...[laugh]

MacFly
[signature]
Hey Tarpon buddy. I will be glad to send you some of my Shrimp flies. I am getting ready to tie up a big batch tonight so that I have some extras on hand. I will be glad to send you some.

Be sure to have your return address on the package that you are sending me so that I can have your addy. Fair Nuff??[cool]
[signature]
DR.
did not see this earlier.. yes we got a good soaking from the last one came thru.. also got hit with the last one that came thru yesterday...

far as I know it is suppose to be nice this weekend so will try to get out this weekend...

MacFly
[signature]