Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buttermouth perch
wanna catch some but have no clue how can u help me out thanx.
[signature]
Hey there. If you want to bait fish them, you can use pieces of muscle or clam. They will hit on squid when they get desperate.

The ultimate for them is the Gulp worms. Use the Camo or the Nightcrawler brown type. Put a double drop shot at around 18" and 24" from the bottom. Cast out and reel up slow until you feel the bite.

Sometimes the fish are biting just below the surface. You will need to fish for them close to the pilings on the pier for better results.

Where are you fishing for them?? What area??? Are you still in LB area??

The Belmont Pier is excellent for catching them. You need to go right in front of the little restaurant/bait store on the end. Just to the south side. There a quite a few pilings out there unless they have added on to it finally.

This is the spawning time for most of the Perch Family. You can also get some decent Barred Surf Perch a little closer to the shore just behind the tide line where the waves crash.

I'm actually going to be out there on the second weekend of March. I plan to fish for awhile on Sat an Sunday morning before going to the Fred Hall Show. Let me know if you want to meet up there on the pier. I should have some more BigFish stickers by then. I'll be glad to give you some for your tackle box.
[signature]
Clams for bait? I dunno about a purch, but you'd deffinately catch a "Bryan" fish with clams. LOL[Tongue]

Especially if you add some milk, pototoes, celery, and onion and a few other ingredients. [Smile]

Unfortunately, we don't have your "ocean perches" over this way. I take it this is another species of fish that has like 50 sub species? [cool]
[signature]
We actually have several species of Perch on this side. Some hang around the pilings on the piers and others are playing in the surf or turf.

Did you want to hear what species we have???

Pile dwellers:

Pile Perch
Butterlip Perch
Big Eye Perch
Black Perch
Dwarf Perch
Walleye Surf Perch (goes both ways)

Surf Dwellers:
Barred Surf Perch
Walleye Surf Perch
Red Tail Surf Perch
Rainbow Surf Perch
Shiner Surf Perch
Striped Surf Perch

Turf Dwellers:
Opaleye Perch
Blue Perch
Rhino Perch
Catalina Blue Perch
Blacksmith Perch
Halfmoon Perch
Kelp Perch
Reef Perch
Sharp nose Perch

So there is only 20 basic species.[cool]
[signature]
LOL, I knew you'd name them off for me. [Tongue]

OK then, which one is the biggest
the smallest
the best eatting
the purdiest colored
and the ugliest
[signature]
yea im still in the lb area. belmont has been slow but i herd someone caught a 40 in halibut, down by the end to the right.
[signature]
We are in the Grunion run season right now. If you go down there during high tide, and throw out some nice green plastics or Green/Chrome Krocodiles, you may have a chance at getting yourself a nice Halibut.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
LOL, I knew you'd name them off for me. [Tongue]

OK then, which one is the biggest
the smallest
the best eatting
the purdiest colored
and the ugliest [/reply]
The biggest would obviously by the Blue Perch, Smallest would be the Walleye Surf Perch, best eating would be the Barred Surf Perch, the Purdy ones are the Rainbow Surf Perch and the Ugly ones or as we say "Fugly" would have to be the Sharpnose Perch.
[signature]