Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LAKE NELSON FISHING REPORT! W/ PICS!
Alright So I decided to brave the "semi-warm" temps and hit nelson today in the float tube.

Here is a picture of the North Boat ramp for those of you wondering if you can get your boat in.
[inline CIMG0801.jpg]
Once the rocks end in the water it is pretty muddy. My feet sunk right in.

Here's some other pictures to show you how low the lake is right now.
[inline CIMG0802.jpg]
[inline CIMG0803.jpg]

And here is what I was facing for windspeed/waves when I arrived a little after 3pm.
[inline CIMG0804.jpg]

On to the report!

The water temperature at the boat ramp was a cold 49 degrees. I launched from the boat ramp and casted along the shore with a spinner bait and didnt really have much luck with that, so I switched to a Rapala countdown minnow. I kicked my way over to the warm water discharge. It wasnt flowing nearly as fast as it usually does and the water coming out was not warm by any means. It was 52.5 degrees here and in all the other areas I fished today. I casted and came up with my first catch of the day! Here's what I got:
[inline CIMG0805.jpg]
I caught another line that was snagged in the rocks by the discharge and so I grabbed a hold of the line and brought it in. 2 still usuable rattle traps were at the end! I think I must have caught 2 lines that were wrapped up together. Only thing I have to do is change the hooks and they will be good as new. Finders keepers[Tongue]

After my impressive catch I kicked my way over to a different area and landed my first bass. Here's some pictures.
[inline CIMG0807.jpg]
[inline CIMG0809.jpg]
[inline CIMG0813.jpg]
It was probably a little over 16 inches and it hit a black and chartruse jig with a zoom chunk trailer. It put up a nice fight with a little action in the air too.

After I found what they were after they just kept coming at me:
[inline CIMG0814.jpg]
One after another.
[inline CIMG0817.jpg]

That's when the temperature started to drop. Remember it was only 31 Degrees when I got there. It started dropping and that meant there was going to be a lot of cold steam coming off of the water.
[inline CIMG0818.jpg]
And if you ever fished nelson when it like this, you know it gets cold fast!
I kept fishing and caught one on a maniac lure (just look at my face to see how cold I am[Wink])
[inline CIMG0819.jpg]

I kept fishing for about another 15 minutes and caught a couple more tiny bass and decieded my hands were pretty much numb so I started my journey back across the lake which took probably about 10 minutes.

I snapped one last picture and that was it for me.
[inline CIMG0822.jpg]
There's the power plant through all the fog/cold steam.

So I think I ended up catching about 10 bass total with the biggest being that first one. Caught all of them on jigs except for one. Once I got back into my car the radio said the temperature was 26 degrees.

If you want to know more info or the secret to catching them or have any questions about anything just ask!

Good luck out there!
[signature]
Nice job Bassmaster. Now you see that the tube is not only for warm water. Good Job Bro.[cool]
[signature]
Thats Awsome! you whacked em. For a cold day I would take 10 bass in a second. You are a brave man going in the tube in those temps. I plan on going on Sunday in the morning. I wanted to go on Sat but theres a wedding I have to go to. Jig and trailer is a great winter lure. matter of fact it is good year round if you need a slow presentation. By the looks of it you handle a jig just fine. Its going to be around 50 degrees on Sunday. Well if you make it out I will see you there. Great job again. Very impressive.[Wink]

James
[signature]
Looks like you had a great day on the water. No one could argue with those results. Great job and thanks for the report.

z~
[signature]
Thanks! I have always been a master with the jig[cool]. It's probably my favorite lure. I always can get bites on it no matter what.

On sunday I work till about 2 pm. I'll see if I can make it. I think I'm heading up here again on friday morning around 11 for sure.

tight lines!
[signature]
Nice Bass! You got me stoked for some early season angling. I plan to hit the tailwaters of a couple reservoirs (Hoover, Deer Creek in OH) this weekend for some saugeye. Never fished for bass this early. Maybe I'll give it a shot if the lakes don't have ice covering them, which I suspect they do.
[signature]
Amen....Nice to see some open water!
[signature]
CONGRATS! haha i knew i should have came out with you [Tongue]

where were all those bass on the jig biting??? was it right by the discharge or what?
[signature]
I told you it would be some fun! Maybe friday you can take your tube out!
[signature]
Nice job with the bass I hope to be able to get out in the next few weeks.
[signature]