Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting the young started
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]My little fishing buddy [grand nephew] is a bit too young to work a fly rod. So I was thinking of getting him one of those practice rods. About 4' long with 15' of yarn. But dam they want $29. Orvis calls their stick "Fly Rod Cat Toy". Anyone know of a similar less expensive product? The price wasn't a concern but they don't give any kisses with it.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I am not sure of a different rod like you describe but will tell you what I do with my grandson (7 years old),,,,

I rig his spin casting rod with a water filled bubble float followed by a bead.. followed by a small swivel.. off the other end of the swivel I tie a length of tippet (dependent on the size of the fly) and then tie on a fly I think will work for him.. so far no fish but in theory it should work.. lol.. he likes to cast but is impatient for the next cast so he tends to reel in often and kind of fast.. I usually tie a wooly bugger on since it is a good fly to use with his reeling in motion. I work with him to slow it down some.. then let it settle .. and then start all over again..

now I will tell you that with him with me I usually dont get much fishing in myself.. if I do it is when he is bored or eating the lunch em box I bought for him on the way to the lake...

MacFly
[signature]
The pet shops usually have the Cat toy version for around 10 bucks. The stick is only about 3 feet in length. Or you could go to your local Home Depot and get a length of dowel there and tie your own yarn to it.[cool]
[signature]
I use that same set up sometimes. It works well (with the wooley Bugger) for LMB and Bonitas. If you have trout in the area switch over to a Renegade.[cool]
[signature]
Id try a renegade but not sure what it is so I am sure I dont have any..guess that means another purchase of flies...lol

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]A renegade is a must have. It is suppose to imitate a snail. There are snails everywhere and so that and a Prince Nymph is my go to flies on a lot of waters.[/size][/black]
[inline dry-renegade.jpeg]
[signature]
Goddess,

I gots the prince nymph (I think), but may be confusing pt nymph.. so I guess next time I am at a shop I best get some renegades.. any suggestion on sizes?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Ask your store. I use from 18 to 12.[/size][/black]
[signature]
The spinning set up with the bubble works well with kids. We use it a lot at a 6th Grade Outdoor educational school.

A wooly worm is another fly that the kids like to make and fish.

The good old San Juan worms works.

there are probably dozens of sites that have the recipe for the wooly worm, san juan worm and the renegade. just google it.
[signature]
For years, the Renegade is one of my "Go To" flies when everything else is slow.

On the Renegade I have caught Bows, Cutts, Browns, Goldens, and Alpers for the Trout category, Muds, Channels, Bullheads and Yellows for the Cat category, Green Sunfish, Redbreasted Sunfish, Blue Gills, Crappies, Tilapia, LMBs, Smallies and Sacramento Perch for the Perch category, Trees, rocks, stumps,vests, humming birds and Bats for the "Every thing out of the water category"

I love the Renegade almost as much as I love fishing itself.

Since I am just starting to tie the freshwater flies, I may want to do a swap with someone wanting to get started in tying Saltwater Flies until I can get the hang of doing my own and stop mooooching my favorite fly from others.

Back when I lived with my Pops, he would supply me with all the flies that I needed. Now that I'm a big boy, I need to fend for myself or sweet talk my Mom into mailing me a few when Pops isn't looking. hee hee.[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there tubeN2 if you like the renegade, then you should like this one twice as much.[/size][/green][/font] [Wink]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22350;][/center]
[signature]
That's cool. It looks like they are mating.[laugh]

What size hook is that on?? I bet I could catch some Perch on that in the ocean. Do you ever use any SS hooks?? I use alot of SS hooks but will use the bronze when I am sure that I will be doing C&R. Just in case the fish swallows the hook, it will desintegrate in a week or less in the salt. It also does less damage to the fish.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey tubeN2 do you mean Mustad SS hooks? I used a Mustad 71S SS to tie the M/Shrimp and will use the same for my Guacamole Lady.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Cool. I guess we are thinking along the same lines.[Wink]
[signature]
[Smile]FlyGodess, that Renegade is a great fly for fishing where the waters of a stream pour into the lake.

In Washington state, Lake lenice was a good place for it.

Some guys called that a "Horse Turd"...."Bi-visible" ....whatever, it's a good fly at the mouth of a stream.
[signature]
[reply]
......I use alot of SS hooks but will use the bronze when I am sure that I will be doing C&R. Just in case the fish swallows the hook, it will desintegrate in a week or less in the salt. It also does less damage to the fish.[cool] [/reply]

Never heard anyone mention that before about fishing in saltwater. Good thing to do.
[signature]
Last year I was having a bad day and I had some renegades in my box for a couple years and decided to try one and from then on it will always be on hand next to the prince nymph. It is becoming my go to fly
[signature]
I find it important to mention C&R just so that others don't get the impression that I kill everything that I catch.

I have particular species that are Kodak species and others that are George Forman or Kingsford species. I don't need to explain what the name brands are known for.[Wink]

The other thing is with the hooks. Certain species of saltwater fish will just gulp a hook down. Sometimes there is no way to avoid letting them swallow. Therefore the bronze hook is my choice of hook so that it dissolves quickly.

The Stainless Steel hooks are only on my flies and rigs that are intended for "Table Fare" species. The hooks last a lot longer and hold a point longer too. I will specifically use 300 series stainless steel too. It has austenitic properties and there for allows it to be magnetic. Magnetic stainless will take 3 weeks to rust out in case of an accidental deep hook. (they are also easy to pick up with a magnet in case of spillage.[cool]
[signature]
Speaking of the Renegade -

How does do each of you use it?

As a Dry or wet fly?

I have used it only as a dry fly. But I tied up some with soft hackle for wets this last year but have not fished them.
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Here is a guy shown using an Echo practice rod.[/size][/green][/font] [/center] [center][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22420;][/center]
[signature]