Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best electric filet knife??
I'm in the market for a new 110 vt. filet knife in the $30-50 range. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
I think TD will have the answer for this for sure. That man is a wizard with the electric fillet knife.

I personally use the Rapala brand one and love it. [Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Don, I have my personal preference. It is the American Angler electric. I have used all of the Mister Twister to Ultra high tech carving knives and the American Angler gets my vote. I am still using the first one I bought over five years ago. I probably use it much more than the average angler, and it is still carving off nice fillets. Two years ago I suspected that it was probably nearing the end of days and bought a replacement at Walmart for about $39. The replacement is still sitting in the box, while I have filleted literally thousands of fish with the original since then.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: c8f9_1.JPG]

[#0000bf]After using most of the models on the market, at one time or another, I especially like the simple trigger and the comfortable grip. Some knifes require you to press two buttons at once and that is difficult, even for someone with large hands.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]The motor is plenty powerful and cuts through tough bones on stripers, wipers and big kitties. But, it is also good for the fine work of filleting panfish or small trout.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf](Sounds like a Ginsu Knife commercial, huh?)[/#0000bf]
[signature]
Pat is this one for home use only or does it have the connectors for plugging into a cigarette lighter or clipping onto a battery? Thinking of getting another one that has those options.

Thanks Chad
[signature]
I'd steer clear of the Rapala cordless. My dad has burned up two in the last 3 years.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The model I use is for 110 V use only. However, many of the fish cleaning stations at the lakes have a 110 outlet and that makes them useable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have not been impressed with any of the "convertible" knives that run on both 110 and 12 volt.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: i516788sn02.jpg]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For those trips that will be "out and about", I have an "ANGLERS BEST" cordless. It comes with 2 12 volt batteries and a recharger, as well as two sets of blades. I have filleted a ton of fish with it and really like it with one exception: It requires that you depress two buttons at once...one on the top and a trigger underneath. That really tires your hands quickly and makes for a stop and start filleting process when you slip. I solved the problem on mine by epoxying the top button permanently forward.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been really impressed with the power for a cordless. My knife cuts through some tough bones on wipers and cats without a whimper. And, each battery is rated at 35 minutes of operation...for a total of 70 minutes for both. I have never had to switch batteries even when putting on a mass demo and filleting fish for several people.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got mine at Sportsmans for about $70, but there are several models. There are also other cordless knives that work very well. But, some of them are wimpy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks guys! This is just the kind of info I was hoping for!
[signature]