Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake #2 of the day was nice to me
I hit two different lakes today. The first still had a ton of snow on it. As one obverser said, "you were gliding along great and then you quickly slowed down and suddenly stopped". Yeah, no kidding... I was driving!

I was trying to get to the 37' deep hole that has the quick incline to 5'... the area that 1iceman suggested I try. Couldn't reach the spot. But I did manage to get off the lake without getting stuck. I was afraid I would and I asked God for either help, or wisdom, to get me out of the spot where I came to a complete stop. He granted me the wisdom I needed.

So I get to the 2nd lake and low-and-behold... there's a lot less snow on it! But this one you can't drive on. You can't even take a boat on this one. Float tube or canoe are okay. So I memorize the lake map and go to the far end where it's supposed to go from 20' to 5'. I drill my first hole... pull up weeds and mud. Too shallow!

Okay, hike with all my gear 20 yards toward where the deeper water is supposed to be. Drill a hole. Same results. Man, did that lake map lie!!!

So, I pick everything up again, hike 30 yards and drill a hole. Yay! I'm in 5' of water! And what's this I'm marking? Either weeds or fish. So I drop a hook and it doesn't get more than 6 inches under the ice and it's gobbled up.

Had hot action like that for about an hr. Every drop, somewhere between 6" and 12" under the ice the back jighead with the waxworm was devoured. Nothing big... largest was a 6" sunny (average for this lake) with most of them being smaller. But it sure would have kept a kid happy. It kept this kid happy!

The wind picked up, the bite died. So I started searching again. My entire body is aching now. I really need to get a sled so I can pull everything across the ice and snow instead of carrying it over my shoulder. But man, it sure was worth it!