Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Erie walleye
[cool] A lot has been argued this winter about the state of Lake Erie walleye. But in a few weeks, when the ice is gone, we'll find out. I expect the spring action around the islands will be topnotch as usual. Most of the eyes in the Western and Central basins (two-thirds of the lake) spawn in the Western Basin. It will be crowded around the reefs.

So if you are going to try out Erie, do it in April and May before the walleyes spread out. Once they move into Canadian water many will fall prey to the commercial fishermen.

Yes, Ontario still allows commercial fishing for walleyes. Why is beyond all reasoning. If Ontario banned netting, Lake Erie would soon grow to the best fishing lake in the world and Ontario would benefit more from sportfishing and tourism than commercial fishing.

When ice-out occurs I'll be out there jigging with minnows at first then switch to crankbaits when the fish are in shallow up on the reefs. That gets really good, sometimes a fish on every cast. Later I switch to drifting with a worm harness as the eyes drop off to deeper water.

Just how slow the walleye action will be this season won't really show until around June 1. Think early!

Capt. Tony Denslow

Mega Bites Charters
[signature]
Thank you for your report and the heads up on thinking early for the best chance at the eyes this year. I also want to thank you for your tips on what to use along as when to use too!

I will be watching for your updates after the Ice-off time has arived.
Thanks Again.
[signature]
Hey captlad. Thank's for getting me thinking about better days ahead.

My homeport is Lorain. The reefs are a bit far to run to especially early season and Saudi gas prices. Any other tips closer to Central Basin? (Just don't say troll!) How about Kelly's Shoal? Productive that time of year? I don't venture very far when the water is still cold, but won't mind a cold ride for some nice bites.

See you on the water.

Thanks,

Eric
[signature]