Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping guides before wrapping
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have a couple questions about prepping guide feet before wrapping them. I know you need to file down the guide foot tip for a better transition from the blank to the start of the guide foot. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]My problem is, I hear of folks using A size thread to wrap guides but I can never get a decent wrap to lay right with A size around the "barb" area of the guide foot. Seems the thread won't lay side by side as it follows the barb and leaves a gap. Does anyone file the barb area to facilitate a smoother transition with the wrap in this area? I've gone to wrapping with D size because it lays down better for me. Any thoughts on this?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
A is hard to wrap with for the reason you mention. The A size will show any imperfection and the way to reduce the barb separation is to file the edges of the guide foot. I use a dremmel with a fine stone to reduce the profile of he side of the guide feet. This will help but a slow turn and a steady hand will also increase your success.

I usually use C for over wraps and A for protective underwraps. Remember everything you add to the rod affects it's stiffness and performance. Stout rods will handle D with little issues but a D wrap on a light action rod will totally change its performance.
[signature]
CJV about summed it up for you. if your using (A) for the guides you need to have the guide and the rod meet as smooth as you can. the dremel comes in real handy for this. I use a small sanding disc to do this. when wrapping up the slop of the guide just go slow until you get past that little slop, then the thread will go on alot easier.
hope this helps later chuck
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thanks, guys. I've got a dremel but was thinking of buying a 1" wide Harbor Freight Belt Sander for $30. It looks like it would work good to rough things down and use the Dremel to polish and smooth them up. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'd rather use the A size since the rods are not that heavy though they will tangle with some fair size fresh water fish. Chuck knows the game. Short handle, short (under 6') jig sticks for macks. I just installed the EVA grips, butt caps and reel seats. Just about ready to start wrapping guides and I'm using the H.D. single foot hardloy guides. The foot on these guides are pretty beefy and without modifications to the foot could never be wrapped with A size thread and look decent, well, at least by me. Also thinking about an acid wrap.[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm going to try and use static deflection to establish the guide spacing. Never tried it before but the theory looks sound and doesn't look too hard to do. We'll see I guess. Don't be surprised if I come back with other questions! Thanks again for the help! [/size][/font]
[signature]