Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reguarding Blue Crabs: Question
Didn't see a shellfish section on the boards so I stuck it here cause Maryland Blue Crabs are Saltwater.

The price of a bushel of maryland blue crabs runs something like $120 + a bushel wholesale. Comrpising about 5 dozen blue crabs.

Recreational crab fishing allows a person to take 1 bushel a day in the crab season which lasts all summer.

My question is If the wife and I were to get a bushel each son Saturday's and Sunday's, are there places that will take the catch and pay for it? Can you sell Crabs and stripers and the like to seafood markets or is there some other avenue for a recreational fisherman to make a buck or 2 for some extra spending cash in the summer?
[signature]
OK, this is going to be a question that needs answering by a local Maryland resident.

I know here in SC, you need not have but a 20 dollar land and sell liscens to sell fish to the local markets. Atleast it use to be 20 dollars. It's been years since i've had one. I use to sell small sharks, shrimp, crabs, and anything else I could get my hands on. It not only was fun, it was rewarding when the cash got placed in my hand. [Tongue] Shark use to be 1.50 a pound, head on. That's pretty damn good. I could make a few hundred bucks in no time. I forgot what crabs where. I sold small bait shrimp I caught pulling a sain net in the creek. I think I sold those guys for like 1.50 a pound too. It might have been a little less. Getting a land and sell liscens might also allow you to keep larger quantities. You'll have to look that up as well. Your safest bet would be to contact your Maryland Department of Natural Resources. The fines can be steep, as well as confiscating your vehicle and equipment if you catch a warden on a bad day. [Wink] Here's the link to your state DNR:

[url "http://www.dnr.state.md.us/sw_index_flash.asp"]http://www.dnr.state.md.us/sw_index_flash.asp[/url]

I'd start here. [cool]
[signature]
Most states require a separate license or permit to be able to sell your days catch. California is no different. I would check your local regulations before attempting it. It could be an expensive lesson if caught.[cool]
[signature]
Best check with the state. As TubeN2 stated some states require extra license for commercial sale. I could ony dream of a bushel of crabs. Maybe with global warming we'll see it here in CT. [unsure]
[signature]