Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which position works for you?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Some instructors teach their students to place their thumb on top of the rod where others like Lefty Kreh teach their's to place the thumb along side the rod. I find the latter a more comfortable position for my thumb while casting. Which position works for you?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I hold it on the side. I was taught that way a long time ago.

When I forget, with the thumb on top, I get wind knots and also some of lousyest casts you ever saw.

That may be the reason I fish by myself so much. I dont want to injure anybody, and I dont like being laughed at so much.
[signature]
[black][size 3]The thumb slightly to the side (called the key position) Like trying to put a key in the ignition.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I use to use that all the time, however I have switched more to thumb on top. I am able to power it more that way, plus a lot harder to break your wrist with thumb on top.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I was shown with thumb on top so I try to do it that way.. sometimes I slip it to the side a bit but always adjust it back to the top.. not sure about the power or writst thing .. just feel more comfy that way... but Im not cathcing anything so maybe I should do it in the reverse.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
My tumb is to the side 1/4 turn from the top. I have a different grib, mostly with my fingers and little with the tumb due to having my wristbones being fuzed together about 20 years ago from a work place injury.
[signature]
For normal casting, I have my thumb right on top. For speycasting, the grip doesn't follow those same rules.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I guess that I need to clarify my statement about Lefty Kreh and the thumb position. For regular short casts the thumb on top is the recommended position. For longer fly casting, positioning the thumb to the side [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]enables one to move the rod further back. I hold my rod the same way I hold a golf club in the V position. An injury to my shoulder years ago probably is the reason why I initially adopted this position and now I am too stubborn to change.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
It's been so long i can't remember!![blush] Let me get back to ya a little later in the week.[Wink]
[signature]
I'm not even going to go there
[signature]
Didn't see that one coming! WOW!!! Sent me falling off the chair LMMFAO!![sly] I was actually refering to not ff in quite some time but that mixes it up a bit.[Wink]
[signature]
OK Pokymon. Where might your thumb be??? Remember, this is a family site. Can you answer or do you want to take a land line?? What is your final answer??[shocked]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Oh you guys are bad![/size][/green][/font][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22698;][/center]
[signature]
IWhoa- thought this was another of Jen_Carolls posts.
[signature]