Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larry Kramka is new Minnesota DNR assistant commissioner
Larry Kramka has been named assistant commissioner of operations for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) effective March 28. He replaces Brad Moore, who is now commissioner of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. "Larry is a proven, strong leader who knows how to get things done," said DNR Commissioner Mark Holsten in announcing the appointment.

Since July 2000, Kramka has served in Bemidji as the DNR's regional hydrologist for northwestern Minnesota, managing all aspects of DNR Waters Division regional operations for 23 counties, including legislative relations, policy establishment and implementation, program implementation, personnel, and budget management. Before that, he worked as a DNR hydrologist in St. Cloud, Marshall, New Ulm and Mankato.

That experience will serve the DNR well, Holsten said.

"Larry's experience and knowledge of field operations will make him a vital member of the commissioner's management team," Holsten said. "As we rise to meet new challenges in water resources, land management and other issues, Larry's experience will help focus on solutions that meet the needs of the public while protecting the resource."

Kramka earned a bachelor of science degree in natural resources and environmental studies from the University of Minnesota in 1990. He has served as a Stearns County water patrol officer and as a part-time Mankato public safety patrol officer. He is an avid hunter, angler, rock climber and amateur radio operator.

"I have enjoyed my time working in the field organization. It is a very diverse group of people working with a tremendously diverse group of constituencies, natural resources and local communities throughout the state," Kramka said. "I think that my experience and field perspective can continue to maintain this strong and vital link that the DNR has with the citizens we serve."

Kramka said, "I look forward to meeting the challenges that we continue to face in protecting and managing our water resources for the future. Hopefully, my experience as an area and regional hydrologist, working with individuals, businesses, and communities will help us as, together, we address the ever-increasing demand on our water resources. I am excited to be part of the commissioner's staff and bring the field's perspective prominently to the office."