Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sheepshead tip
this is the strangest tip for catching sheepshead i have ever heard of what do you think a fisherman from florida says he catches more sheepies than anyone else using this method he buys orange jump ropes (plastic or vinyl hollow kind) and cuts them into 1/2 inch pieces before putting his bait on (he uses fresh shrimp) he threads a piece of the jump rope over the hook then baits up he claims the fish, while eating the shrimp, feels the tough piece of jump rope and continues to feed thinking the jump rope is food he claims most of the time you don't even have to set your hook they hook themselves sounds crazy but who knows...........[crazy]
[signature]
LOL, I know the exact post you're talking about. I actually responded to that very post, thinking it sounded a bit "fishy" myself. But it's like you said, who knows. I rarely have any issues getting them to stay on the bite once I find them anyhow.

That was like a buddy of mine told me they were catching King Mackerel offshore by attaching a lead head to the leader. Threading on a piece of green grub and trolling with a frozen cigar minnow hooked through the lips behind that piece of grub. LOL, I told him he was full of crap, but it could have been. Stranger things have happened on the water I suppose. [Tongue]
[signature]
well that certainly is one of the craziest things I have ever herd of, but it sounds like it could work. Personally I haven't had the best luck using shrimp for the sheepshead. I get most of my bites when using any type of shell fish. but that's just me, does anyone else have a fovorite sheepshead bait?
[signature]
the only bait i have used are fiddlers i can honestly say i have fed my share of sheepies[cool]
[signature]
Like saltwaterron mentioned, I almost exclusively use fiddler crabs. They are cheap to buy, easy to find, and universal. Drum and flounder will hit them as well. I've never caught a sheephead on shrimp before. Barnacles are good bait, but can be a pain in the butt. I've also heard that oysters make an excellent bait, and can warrant a strike when nothing else is working. My problem with that is I can't justify using one of those tastey morsals for bait. LOL, a salteen and a dab of texas pete, yum yum. [Smile] Back in my drinking days, I liked an oyster in the bottom of a shot glass filled with vodka and a shot of tobasco. [Wink]
[signature]
i have an uncle who uses nothing but barnacles he vacations in the wimington area for 2 weeks every year he is a very good sheepshead fisherman they call him sheepshead bill one year he caught 65 in a 2 week period i will probably never catch that many in my lifetime[laugh]
[signature]
LOL, I bet you will. Maybe you'll get a chance to hit the water with me out on the reef this year. I'll see if I can't put you on some sheephead action. [cool]
[signature]
maybe so maybe so
[signature]