Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
[size 1]Hello,

I am new to the board and I must say I am Impressed!

I am another charter guy that fishes Lake Erie. Lake Erie is my playground and home.

I have fished all over the country. Being in the Military for 30 plus years. I retired in 1990. (You won't have to ask me my opinion on Iraq.)

I am here to offer any help I can to members of this board. Ask anything you like. I will tell it like it is or as I know it, or simply say I don't know. The only dumb question is the one that is never asked.

I am also a big Buckeye fan. Go BUCKS! This is my nickname on the lake.

I guess you might say my specialty is Jig Fishing. I love it and If had my way it would be the only way to fish. That being said I am fairly well versed in most fishing techniques.

Soon I will be getting ready for spring fishing.

Good luck [/size]
[signature]
Okay captain. I am all ears. Central Basin is my home, although I do love them islands. Any good spots around the Lorain area for early season eyes?

How's that jigging work? I mainly cast weight forwards or harnesses. Do you drop anchor?

Hope to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Eric
[signature]
[center][font "Arial"][size 2][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=25822"][Image: winner.gif][/url][/size][/font][/center][font "Arial"][size 2]Hi Eric, thanks for your post. As far as Lorain for early Eyes I don't have that answer for
you. Maybe we can get Capt Tony (captlad) to answer that one for you. I do know that it can be very good in the Fall. I move my boat to the Central basin in late August. Last year was very good on the sand bar for both jumbo Perch and big fat Walleye.
Most of the walleye are way west of the islands to spawn, clear to the Maumee river, and north to the Detroit river. Only about 10% spawn in the rivers, the remainder spawn in the lake on the reefs and near the shore line in the gravel.[/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2]
Jig fishing is the oldies and one of the best techniques ever. When mastered properly it will out produce most other methods.
On Lake Erie It is used mostly in the spring during the spawn, However it will take fish all year.
Jigs come in many sizes, colors and styles. I have found it is hard to beat a Yellow Chartreuse, Round Head Jig. Other colors such as Green, white, red, orange also work.
Sizes range from 1/16 ounce, to one or more ounces. What is the best size to use? First some basics.
Walleye almost always hit a Jig when it is dropping. So the next Issue is, how to work a Jig? A jig must be presented in a pattern that keeps it in contact with the bottom but yet jumps or hops up form the bottom.
To achieve this a hopping motion, cast the Jig parallel to the boat, off the stern or bow, or downwind. Let it sink to the bottom. Then start a hopping motion using ONLY your wrist. Not your arm.
Make the Jig hop about 6 to 12 inches up off the bottom. It will be necessary to retrieve slightly in between hops,
just to keep some of the slack out and keep in contact with the Jig.Make sure the line goes slack after each hop. This is when the Walleye suck the Jig into It's mouth. This motion is some what like a whipping motion but, with only your wrist. The Jigging motion should occur in about one or two second intervals.
Each time snapping it from the bottom. The Walleye flairs it gills to draw water into its mouth and your jig with it. The next jig you make you will feel some extra weight. Instead of jigging just come straight up on him. You got your fish. The weight of the jig is determined by a couple of conditions. Boat drift speed and water depth. use the lightest jig you can To get and stay at the bottom. On Lake Erie 3/8 oz works well on most days, but in windy conditions up to 1 oz will be needed. The jig maybe dressed with a twister tail and a minnow or piece of night crawler hooked through the head. The fuzzy grub is also very well. Eric, It will take some practice, but will pay big dividends. Let me know how you do. Good Luck[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply! I will be trying more jigging this spring. Looks like I'd better find some jig deals at the Cleveland Sport Show next week. I'll be watching for more of your wisdoms. Thanks again.

Eric
[signature]