Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paint for Jigs
So I just bought an auction on ebay for some jigs, spoons, buzzbaits, and spinnerbaits and several (if not the majority) of them need to be touched up a bit due to being chipped and worn. I've never made my own lures or anything, so I'm wondering if the more experienced types might help me out here. What kind of paints, finishes, etc. should I use to retool these things??? Should I use something different for the jigs than I use for something like the back of a weedless spoon or is it all the same? Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Paints are another area where there are varying opinions, just like reels, lines, etc. If you scroll back through some of our past threads you will find many references to both vinyl jig paints and powder paints.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspect that for touchup work you will want to use vinyl paints and then top coat with clear epoxy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a writeup I put together a while back on basic painting. It should give you some insight on what paints you can use and how to use them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sportsmans carries the vinyl paints in 1 oz. bottles, in many of the most popular colors. If you are going to buy a quantity, or need something Sportsmans does not carry, you can find those paints and Cabelas and Barlows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just be sure you clean up the old paint well before repainting. If the paint is really ugly and faded, you may consider removing it entirely and doing a complete repainting job. A heat gun or acetone will get the job started.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, TD--this is a whole new world for me!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well, unless you get carried away (like some of us) it should be a fun hobby that can save you money and help you create your own special stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Or, as my wife says, "It keeps him off the streets."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If you're looking for some nice effects you can buy lure paint in an aersol can from [url "http://www.csipaint.com"]www.csipaint.com[/url] I buy all my powder paint from them but haven't tried the aersol myself. It might be an easy way to put some nice touches on without needing an airbrush.
I have a powder coating system and their powder coat airbrush which works pretty descent -- not sure on how big of a set up you want.
[signature]