Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polish Nymphing Technique
I was turned on to this at the ISE show with Jack Dennis. As you can imagine, the demonstration left me wanting to know more. I was very impressed with the concept, but I do not know enough about the setup and technique to really give it a go. Is there anyone that is currently skilled with this new method of nymphing and would like to share or teach this to others? This European method, as some refer to it, is done with multiple nymphs off of droppers. There is no strike indicator and you short cast most of the time, staying in touch with your flies at all times. The method even dictates that you "pull" the flies just a touch faster that the current. This method is best used in medium depth riffles and faster water where fish feed.

Also, is anyone out there currently tying any polish "woven" nymphs? I saw some on the web and they are great looking. The plus side is they sink fast and stay down.

The flyfishing competitors that are using this method are winning all the world competitions. Inquiring minds want to know more.
[signature]
Chinook,

I've never fished the Polish technique, but have read quite a bit about it. Here's a good link with some diagrams on how to do it. http://www.mustad.no/action/fishing_tips...czech1.htm

My dad also told me Cabela's is carrying the leader setups with the droppers on them, you just tie on the flies. I think they are about $8 a piece he said. Sorry I wasn't more help but hopefully that link will answer more questions. It made it a lot more clear for me.
[signature]
you can only fish with two flies in Utah, State proc says.....so only tandem rigs are aloud. either 1 dry an one dropper or two dries.
excerpt from the state proc [size 2]
No line may have attached to it more than two baited hooks, two artificial flies or two artificial lures. The only exceptions to this rule are if you’re using a setline or you’re fishing at Flaming Gorge Reservoir or Lake Powell. Please see page 10 of this guide for more information about fishing with a setline. Information about fishing at Flaming Gorge is available on page 16, and information about fishing at Lake Powell is available on page 18.[/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Time to head down to Cabela's and ask for Ryan Barnes or Lance Egan (US fishing team). These two have got it down. They have a good selection of 10' rods for this also. Plus think flies weighted in grains. Very heavy, but they work![Wink][/size][/black]
[signature]
I read the article on the czech nymphing technique from the link. It sounds alot like the style of nymphing usually do with the exception that I usually just use one weighted nymph and tend to use a shorter pole. I do use a very light pole and keep in contact with the nymph at almost all times. When fishing this way a strike indicator is never needed. I developed this style of fishing thru experimenting on my own and it found it works well especially when wanting to cover large stretches of river. I would suggest people try to adapt various techniques and experiment to see what works for them and not worry about copying every detail of a fishing style that may not fit the way the conditions they actually fish.
[signature]
Thanks! I spent some time on Saturday with Lance and we looked at some leaders that they carry with an O ring and 3 droppers. I know we can only use 2 but they look pretty good. I may just do my own droppers. Anyway, He told me about a clinic Vladi is putting on down in Grand Junction this weekend. I would love to get down to that. They will actually do a demonstration on the water. Fly tying clinics and more. Vladi even sells some of his Polish woven flies. I really should get into fly tying, but I already have too many hobbies. Thanks for the heads up.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I am so glad you went and talked to Lance. So many people think HI-STICKING is czech/polish nymphing, but they are two different animals, fruits, styles, whatever[laugh][/size][/black]
[signature]
[Tongue] Hey I don't high stick or use the czech technique for nymphing. My point was people shouldn't be afraid to try things out on their own and be innovative. Not everyone has the time, money or inclination to run out and buy a new 10 ft pole and drive to Colorado for lessons. Nothing wrong if you do (fishing guides are generally great and helpful people[cool]) but let's face it trout are pretty stupid creatures and it doesn't take all that to have fun and catch tons of fish.
[signature]
[black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][Tongue] Hey I don't high stick or use the czech technique for nymphing. My point was people shouldn't be afraid to try things out on their own and be innovative. Not everyone has the time, money or inclination to run out and buy a new 10 ft pole and drive to Colorado for lessons. Nothing wrong if you do (fishing guides are generally great and helpful people[cool]) but let's face it trout are pretty stupid creatures and it doesn't take all that to have fun and catch tons of fish.
[/size][/black]

[#588000][size 3]The post was just asking about Polish nymphing, that is all. Some of us just like to experiment[Wink][/size][/#588000]
[#588000][size 3]You are right on trying things on your own, that is the experimenting.[/size][/#588000]
[#588000][size 3]The 10' ROD thing however is just coming back around and it is fun as heck not to mention very benefitial(sp) on a lot of waters. There is now even SWITCH RODS that are a lighter, longer rod for float tubing & big rivers.[/size][/#588000]
[#588000][size 3]As far as Colorado, Cabela's with Lance and Ryan is in Utah, but I am sure there is a lot of people out there experimenting with the Czech.[/size][/#588000]
[#588000][size 3][/size][/#588000]
[#588000][size 3]I don't know about the Trout being stupid. Sure it is possible to catch the same one several times, but get on some water they can see you, they are gone![/size][/#588000]
[#588000][size 3]I think more creatures of habit.[/size][/#588000]
[signature]
I was there also for the demo by Jack. Before I sat through the demo I had decided to ditch the indicator this year. After Jack's demo I was ready to give it a try.

I hit the Dushesne River last Saturday and gave the new style a try. I adapted a little because I didn't have any nymphs heavy enough to get it down where I wanted. I was concerned when I started that I wasn't going to recognize the take when it came. Now I may have missed some takes but I'll tell you, I won't be using an indicator ever again. There was NO mistaking the take when they came.

The most difficult part for me was adding the correct amount of weight. I was loaded up but it's necessary to get it down deep and down fast. You then control the weight and where you want it to go.

I was using standard type flies. I had tied some size 10-12 PT's and HE's the night before to use as a point fly then used some flies to match the ones I had collected in my seine net.

This technique is certainly not for small streams where fish are spooky just as Jack had talked about. I do think it could work well if you are very stealthy and get down on your belly.

One more thing. I was able to fish in locations I was never able to fish well with an indicator, places where big nasty fish hang out like the 24" brute that was caught that day.

Give it a try.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Congrats on the 24 incher!! Nice fish!

I am just dying to try it out. I have been looking for the polish nymphs like Vladi ties but have had no luck yet. They tie flies that are weighted and are tied with materials that sink quickly. I am going to try a large weighted stone as the bottom fly and a PT to scud or something on the dropper.

I will let you know. But first, I am going to the Master in Augusta. After that, it's all fishing for me.
[signature]
Hey Icthys,
Why don't you just try adapting some of the concepts to fit small streams better. Leave that darn indicator off. Shorten the pole a foot or 2 but keep it light. Use lighter weight nymphs to fit the stream. Keep or drop the 2nd fly depending on the conditions. Cast a little further upstream than you might on the bigger river to lessen the chance of spooking the fish. Sure you won't be fishing the polish nymphing technique anymore but for better or worse Utah really doesn't have all that much big water where it's best suited for.
[signature]
Riverdog,
How are you detecting strikes in your case? Are you sight fishing or watching your leader for strikes?
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestions.

Fishing a strictly nymphing rig on small streams just doesn't seem right. I fish small streams with a dry fly of some sort and then a dropper, that's is I even need to use a dropper! There are only a few times where I have used a nymphing only technique.
[signature]
A small percentage of the time I'm sight fishing but the rest I rely on feeling the strike. From sight casting I can tell you the majority of strikes are pretty easy to detect. The more subtle strikes take some getting used to and when in doubt at all I still react as if it where a strike (just as I would do if fishing any other way except dries in daylight). I'm sure I do miss a few. A smaller weight rod and practice are key. When fishing this way I use my 2,3 & 4 wt rods depending on where I'm fishing. I do find it hard to hook fish with the 2 wt rod sometimes so I usually reserve that for places the fish are small and and overly eager.
[signature]