Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any one plant gardens here?
That time of year to start on the garden. Anyone grow their own veggies. We generally start off with onions, radishes and garlic. Then start adding more veggies as the weather gets warmer. We keep it simple with lots of tomatoes for canning and we just love green peppers and jalepenoes that we cut and freeze for cooking also. Beans and cucumbers are also a few others will add. We have done melons, but room is an issue.
[signature]
We garden as well and I have built raised gardens this year and have done the growing medium lasana style and will be using sq ft garden plan for my layout. I think it's going to be lots of fun[Wink]
[signature]
Tomatoes. and thats about it fresh theres nothing better
[signature]
I have already started on mine,

I pruned one cherry tree, cut some sicons for later grafts.

planted another cherry tree and a pear, I have to plant yet another pear.

I started my garden by planting all my winter fish guts in to my garden were I plan on putting my corn. (all the fish left overs that didnt get eaten by the neighbors cat...) glad I dont have to wake up with that fur ball mewing in my face..[shocked][pirate]

Ordered my seads and received them a month ago.

all I need do now is pick up a few mater plants and every thing will be ready to set in. well, I have to think about cabage and brocolli plants....
[signature]
You must all live in warmer climates than Idaho Falls. Right now, it's snowing here. If you have any extra veggies that are just going to rot on the ground, let me know! I live in a condo and can't plant anything. I look forward to my dad's garden every summer.
[signature]
if ya can have a couple of those big planters and a sunny exposure you can have tomatos and beens.

Gurneys now has a tomato plant that will grow a hundred tomatos on it.

if you plant kentucky wonders you can putt a trelles of sort and grow a half bushel of pole beans in a big planter.. just put in a couple pols for them to climb on, web some string back and forth to suport lots of vine and plant the seeds one every six inches apart you can get in almost a whole pack of seed.

yes you will want to use a small bag of cow manure and merical gro potting soil to fill the big planters.

I grow a regular beef steak and a patio tomato in a planter every year... dont use regular garden soil because it packs to hard during watterings..

there aint nottin better than a fresh tomato for breakfast early in the mornng or tomato sandwich in the afternoon. or fresh beans ham/bacon and taters in the pot on a sunday afternoon....

even a fried green tomato is pretty taisty [Tongue]
[signature]
I live in a daylight basement situation--no patio, just window wells. :-) I did grow some herbs in my window last year. Fresh garlic chives were wonderful on fresh trout! Got a recipe for Honey Bourbon Salmon that I'm going to try out this week too. Gotta stop this thread because I'm hungry for dinner and it's only 7:20 a.m.!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Reel Lady, are you part of the Fly Fishing Ladies up ther e in Idaho Falls?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I visit you neck of the woods on occasion, my niece works at the Museum up there and my sister at United way.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Sorry to say, I'm not part of the flyfishing community...yet. If I get my summer bonus, maybe I'll start buying some flyfishing gear. Right now, I bank-fish with hardware--my ex had a small jet and a lake boat and I used to do a lot of that with him. Right now, it's just me and my waders. :-)

I did get to see the Guns 'n Hooks exhibit at the Museum. They did a great job and there was some beautiful gear and some great history.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I ended up giving my niece a fly rod (she gets college credit for that....wow, how cool is that) So I had to set her up right. Her hubby builds beautiful Log Furniture so I made a deal for a Log Bed in exchange for an 8wt Fly Rod, Reel, Backing and Multi tip line. Fare trade to me (but I get a discount, he, he, he)[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Have to stay in touch and I will let you know when we are heading up there again.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Sorry EZOP didn't mean to HJ your post.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I plant a garden every year (my Hubby loves to can...WAHOO)[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I always plant way too many tomatoes, but will try real hard (okay even harder) to correct that this year.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I like the Early Girls cause they are .....early LOL[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Then I like the Beefy ones later in the year and I grow a lot of Roma's.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]We do the cucmber thing for pickles, peppers (all kinds), and I have tried for two year for Artichoke with no luck or I should say, a monster plant with one tiny Artichoke.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Last year we planted Tomatios (sorry on the spelling, in fact not sure I am even close) Little green thing with a husk around it. Anyway, found out that, THAT IS THE MISSING INGREDIANT IN VERDA. Wow, they are so cool.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Anyway, I usually start my garden the second to the last week in May or around there, with protection around them till second week of June.[/size][/black]
[signature]
United way, most cool way to go, I am a volunteer with the united way... most worthy organization...
[signature]
Quote:Last year we planted Tomatios (sorry on the spelling, in fact not sure I am even close)

Hey Sis. Actually it is Tomatillos which is pronounced Toe-mah-teeyos. It is actually easy once you learn the lingo.

Come on down to SoCal. You can pick it up muy rapido.......ooop I mean real fast.[cool]
[signature]
I am already overrun with tomatoes and Jalepenos. I love my salsa.[cool]
[signature]
Well more and more of my garden is in. I keep going out and finding the stuff i'm missin.I am really excited about this lasagna gardening. When I was planting some peppers tonight I loved how warm the material was. I am going to send a picture next time.
[signature]
I've been meaning to take a pic also. The only thing I have in the ground is the garlic, onions and radishes. Work has been keeping me busy, but I just may get the tomatoes and peppers in this week.
[signature]
Here's a few pictures
[signature]
Very nice looking and I just love the way you have things set up in little planter boxes throughout the yard. Looks like things are growing well so far!
[signature]
Finally planted the rest today.
[inline garden1.jpg]

[inline garden2.jpg]
[signature]
I got mine in yesterday. Good thing cause it is raining today and probably tomorrow. Wahoo!
Down sized this year cause the plants got so big in the past they crowded each other. Was hard to get to the middle ones plus I think they will get bigger veggies spread out better.

Here is the cucumbers (burpless and Pickling). Got a problem with snailes so I have to use the powder or this liquid gray paste. Rain isn't helping that[mad]

[Image: Garden001.jpg]

Then there is the main garden with tomatoes and peppers. We are using the drip system on these.

[Image: Garden002.jpg]

Herb garden. I love the Sage. It is beautiful and smells great, but there is Cilatro, chive and a few other Herbs here.

[Image: Garden003.jpg]

Some more Herbs with the Horseradish in full bloom.

[Image: Garden004.jpg]
[signature]