Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturdays Fishing Trip
Well, even though it was calling for 2-4' seas, it was calm as could be the first half of the trip. It was nice and warm with a slow, cool breeze. We managed to get out on the reef around 9am, as we waited for the air temp to climb to a comfy level. I hit the mark the first drop of the anchor and the boat drifted strategically over the reef. We instantly began catching fish using squid on a two hook drop rig. We had plenty of bait for the live lines all day. I was surprised to see the pinfish on the reef this early. The sheephead were hanging around, but you really had to work for them. I even went to a smaller hook with a Flurocarbon leader, still it was very slow. We did manage to snag a few keepers though. [cool] We also schooled the seabass with a few nice keepers. Among the action, we manage to snag a few nice sharks and a couple dogfish. My father in law lost something pretty big on his live bait rig, I could only imagine what that was. The water temp 4 miles out was 62 degrees according to my tale-tale sonar. All in all, a pretty good day. Around 2pm, the wind shifted and tripled in speed. I decided to make a move to another spot, BIG mistake. The wind made it almost impossible to hit the spot, and after 3 times of hauling up the anchor because of missing the structure, I decided to leave well enough alone and head to the hill. Nothing can ruin a great day of fishing like a shift in the wind. Atleast it was a dry ride back. [cool] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22924;] Here's my son (sailfish4me) battling a shark he hooked off a live pinfish w/ a hair cut. [Wink] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22923;] Here's the first fish Mike caught off his new Penn 330 GTI we got him for Christmas. That's it in the picture spooled with 40lb Calcutta. [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22925;] This is my father in law with a juvinile sheepshead he caught off of squid. LOL, yeah, squid. He'll be good table fare along with the others. [cool] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22926;] Here's my son rocking the BFT hat along with one of our nice keeper seabass. He's fishing with an ultra lite Penn spinning reel w/ 20 lb power pro on an Ugly Stix lite. They really rip that little reel. Now i'm just looking foward to the fish fry. [cool] [signature]
[signature]