Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sprey casting
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool] Here is a real quickie.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center] [/center]
[signature]
I've always refered to the spey (is it spey or sprey?) casting depicted in this video as roll casting. The best advice I've gotten to perform good spey/roll casts is to get as much of your fly line out of the water as possible. When creating the D-loop, lift your rod high and pull back to get as much of the line off the waters surface and its soooo much easier and efficient.[Wink]

Please excuse my niavety in terms and nomenclature or even general knowledge. All my knowledge comes from water time, a giant fishing book from my father when I was 5, weekend fishing shows and an experienced fishing buddy.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]Hi there hartz – Spey would be the correct spelling of the term. Naturally one roll casts when obstructions limits the ability to back cast. Spey Casting requires less effort than standard overhand casts if done correctly and Spey Casting allow you to cover water you couldn't cover with standard casting techniques. Casting in tight quarters is easy and gone is the worry of "what am I going to catch on my back cast" because don't need a back cast. With spey casting one try’s to get most of the line out of the water. With roll casting you need some line behind and to the side. Most of the line remains in the water to help load the rod. I am hardly a qualified instructor by that is the way I see it. Others might be able to explain it better.

[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]