Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with new fly rod
I bought a new fly rod and now i need to know what i need need next besides the flies. I have never fly fished so i dont know what kind of line goes on the reel or any other items that i will need. The casting i can probably figure out by practicing. Any help will be appreciated!!!
[signature]
What is the line weight specified on the rod? If it is a 5 weight then you will need a 5 weight floating line, 6 for a 6 weight, etc. The two basic floating lines are WF (weight foreward) and DT (double taper). Either one will work fine but the added benefit with a DT is you can switch it around when one side gets worn out. Your best option is taking the rod into a fly shop and getting a line for it. They should be more than happy to put the backing and line on your reel for you and answer any questions you have. You will need a cople tapered leaders to go on your line (that is what you tie the fly to) and a few spools of tippet material to lengthen your leader when it gets shortened too much. Learn the blood knot to lengthen leaders.
[signature]
Start with a reel with a matching weight and a line suited to your casting situations. Sinking, floating, etc.
[signature]
[black][size 4]Scotty P, I wrote almost word for word what you just wrote, but for some reason....it ain't there![crazy][/size][/black]
[black][size 4]Anyway, what Scotty and Lunkerhunter said [laugh][/size][/black]
[signature]
Add to that strike indicator,small sinkers,floatant,nipper,hook remover.
[signature]
Ocean Congrats on the new Rod and Welcome to Fly fishing !!!

Dont mean to scare ya off but the rod is just the tip of the iceberg
Your also going to need ...

- Reel
Depending on who you ask an expensive reel isent that important I my self am particular to Ross reels but again just my opinion I would go with a low to mid level reel and save $$$ for the other stuff.

- Line,Leader & Tippet
Depending on your weight of your rod A good starter line would be Cortland 333 but depending on how you look at it since line is kinda expensive you may want to just go with a better line upfront ...

-A good assortment of flies

- Waders / Wading boots

- nippers, Hemostats w/ scissors, net,

Thing you eventually end up buying

vest, good pair of polarized glasses, strike indicators, floatant, sink,
ect ect

From there there are ton of accessories and eventually you'll want get a pontoon or tube. The sky's the limit well in my case my $$$ is my limit but have fun with it don't worry about catching fish concentrate on your casts and timing.

If you have any questions feel to ask me or post in the boards there alot of pros here that are willing to help. Alot of them help me out [Wink]
[signature]
Eventually (if you really get into it) you will find things in your vest you have no idea the purpose they serve along with any number of other items you have no idea how they got there. Last time out i found a rainbow rapala, some skittles, a knife i have never seen, and a bottle of reel oil. I don't remember putting those things in there but i find stuff like this all the time.[cool]
[signature]
Hey every little bit of info will help thanks. Ok i will start with a sinking line so i can practice at yuba then work my way to the provo river!! [Wink] I know it is going to be fun learning but getting started is the hard part. I have a pontoon also a boat so i will take my boat out to yuba and practice from offshore that way i wont bother anyone around me by hooking them!! Is there any place you recomend where they will take the time to help me out ?
[signature]
If you could swing a weekday soon, i know some awesome spots to learn on some decent fish. The BWO's are coming off good right now. If that sounds like a plan shoot me a contact through a pm.
[signature]
[black][size 3]If you are going with a sinking line first, a few things you better know.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]First off, it is a weighted line and is a lot different to cast from a floating.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I personally would start with a floating, but you mentioned Yuba and pontoon, I understand you wanna get at it. That will be easy enough to do out on the water, you can even troll.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]But eventually, you will need to learn how to cast distances, roll cast, mending, etc. Techs you will need to fly fish.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]My suggestion on sinking is an Intermediate or a Type II. All sinking lines will get to the bottom, just have to wait a little on the lower numbers.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Weekdays are kinda hard for me unless it is late in the afternoon. I get off work at 430pm everyday.I will take flygodess advice and start with a floating line. I will head out to cabelas this weekend if i have time and getsome supplies to get started. Thanks everyone for the help!![Smile]
[signature]
Hey Ocean,

I live right next to Cabelas and I will gladly show you what you need for flyfishing as that is my preferred way to fish.

Proline (Todd)
[signature]
Hey Todd that sounds good. I am thinking i am probably going to wait till i get back from my vacation in miami to get started. I have to many things going on right now. Now i have another excuse to go to Cabelas thanks![Wink]
[signature]