Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers on a fly
I have always wanted to try to catch a wiper on my fly rod out of my pontoon or tube has anyone done this or heard of any one doing this?
[signature]
[black][size 3]A bunch of friends (from another forum) had a get together at Willard a couple of years ago. I couldn't make that trip, but they had a blast.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Chartrues (sp) was the key color with a lot of Clousers being flung.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I will repeat what they said. You will need at least 8lb tippet and at least a 6wt. These fish were breaking 3X tippet right and left and a couple of 0X.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I think we need a BFT Wipers On the Fly day. A weekend day would be cool so the working class could make it and hopefully not a weekend that I am working this time![mad][/size][/black]
[signature]
I have caught a few on the fly before. HANG ON! White buggers and bunny leeches worked well for me. Caught some smallies too. [cool]
[signature]
I've spent some days fighting the wipers. Goddess is right, bring some heavy gear! 3x doesn't work at all!

I've spent more days not catching a thing then I have catching. Be prepared to spend some time out there. I'm sure there are some that really have it down and will catch wipers every trip out but not me.

Good luck and have fun.
[signature]
I think you're right... It can be really tough... sometimes you find em... sometimes you don't. If you can get into a school, then you'll do alright, but sometimes you have to cover a ton of water to find them. Wait til they start boiling. Large white poppers on top... Woohoo! [Tongue]
[signature]
well if there boiling they will eat just about anything that you put in front of them. i am think about doing this next thrusday or tuesday i havent decided yet but it should be fun.
[signature]