Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A triple threat
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]The Triple Threat - A three-fly rig increases your odds by presenting more flies to the fish. While it's not unusual to take a trout on a different fly on successive drifts, the system really shines when conditions are tough and you have difficulty finding a fly that works. Has anyone used this setup?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod,

Not in Utah. I don't have a proclamation handy, but I think that 2 hooks are all that we allowed to use.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there Saberfish - I think that I have read some place that one fly is the maximum on some bodies of water. I can't imagine casting three flies and not getting them all tangled up. But I thought that a Triple Threat was an interesting concept. What say you FGD & TN2?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Especially for the type of flies that I use.

California currently has a limit of 2 hooks per line. Fresh or Salt. Some bodies of water can set their own limits as well based on who is governing that water shed.

I'm sure you've seen some of the Wild Trout Areas. They have many different rules. 1 hook, barbless, no live bait and slot limits as well as a 2 fish limit withing all of the aformentioned guidlines.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I think that Hot Creek is not only barbless but also a dry fly water way. There are probably others too.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[size 3]I do fish two flies on a regular basis. On rivers I use a dry/dropper, on stillwater, I either use two nymphs or a Larger bait fish fly and a smaller nymph. Tied on to look as thought the bait fish is chasing the bait. Also a good attractor.[/size]
[size 3]On rivers I do a dropper of the bend or eye of the first hook. On stillwater I use the "V" connection with one side being about a foot longer.[/size]
[size 3]I have caught two fish at the same time a lot on these two rigs.[/size]
[size 3]It will not only help you find the right fly, but like I said, some flies attract attention.[/size]
[signature]
I used to try the triple threat all the time.

I found the threat to be to my mental state ...... not to the fish.

I would get it going for a while but then all of a sudden I would have a tangled mess. A windy day was sure to be a disaster very quickly.

I have never had a guide recommend three flies. Hmmmm, I wonder why [sly]

I talked to big fish guru Landen Mayer about tangling the three fly rig all of the time. He said the trick is to never use smaller than 4X tippet.

I am going to give it a try again this summer and see how it goes.
[signature]