Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 4/12
Hit Pineview with Hookjaw Brimhall this afternoon from the shore.

Both of us threw Rapala type lures for the 1st half hour or so in hope and getting a early year musky. Not a tap on any of the hardware all day.

I then decided it was time to try for some smallies. I figured the fish would stil be holding somewhat deep, so I tied up a Texas rigged Maniac Paddle Tail. About the 3rd cast I got a really good smack on the drop, but swung and missed. I worked the shorline for awhile without anything else. Hookjaw and I decided that we try an area on the main lake, so we started walking over. On the way over Hookjaw noticed something shiny in the sand. He found a brand new Jakes Spin-A-Lure. Sweet. In addition there were about 50 brand new hooks and sinkers right there too. Someone must have dumped a tackle box.

So we made our way to the main lake and there was some submerged brush about 15-20 yards away. I threw the worm right next the one of the edges and let it fall. I started the lift when I felt a heaviness to my line and I set the hook. After a good tussle I was rewarded with a nice 16" smallie that probably went 2.5#.

Unfortunately that was the only fish of the day for Hookjaw and I. The wind really started kicking up, so we tried a few other spots and went home.

Fun to get out again. Double fun to catch a nice smallie. [cool]

[Image: SmalliePineview4.jpg?t=1176494308]
[signature]
It was good to see some smallie action. Give it a couple of warm weeks and things will really heat up. Here's some more pics of your fish.
[inline "Tyler's Smallie.JPG"]
[signature]
Awesome smallie! I can't wait till it gets good.[cool]
[signature]
Nice smallie! I was trolling for tigers up there a few years back and caught 2 about 3 pounds back to back and they fought so hard I thought I had a small tiger muskie on both times. Pound for pound I think small mouth are the most fun fish their is.

Matt
[signature]
That sure is a nice smallie. Scrappie buggars they are.
[signature]
very niiice. no skunk action
[signature]
Yeah smallies do have a lot of fight in them. Hookjaw thought I had a tiger on because it was bending my medium rod in half and taking line for a second. [cool]
[signature]
Dont you love em! Im in middle georgia now and I catch alot of big largemouth but they dont fight nearly as hard as smallies. I miss the diversity of the fish species in utah. I lived in clearfield and it was 30 mins from about whatever kind of fish you wanted to catch. Now we have some oddballs here that are fun to catch like bowfin and gar.......
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice trip. Good report. Too bad no tigers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I know... we really did go there to target tigers. About an hour after catching the smallie both of us went back to hardware. Hookjaw threw a fire tiger crank. I tried various cranks and Rapalas. I also slow rolled a spinner bait just off the bottom for awhile.

Oh well... we'll get 'em soon. [cool]
[signature]