Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach Fishing
Well things are still slow and can only hope will get better SOON. Had trips yesterday and today with limited success. Blues are a plenty in the inlet with a few Flounder being caught. NO big Reds have shown up yet but will be glad to see them! Going to keep TRYING,got trips next week and hope to have better news!
Good Fishing To All Capt. Shannon www.Catch-1familyfun.com
[signature]
Hey Skipper, I see you got joined up OK! That's great! Make sure and let me know if there is anything we can do to help you along. If you shoot me your address in a Private Message, i'll get a few BFT goodies out for joining up. [cool] PM'ing is easy, just click on my log in name "tarpon4me" and in the bottom right of the screen that will shortly pop up, you'll see the option to "private message." It's that easy! You can also do it by clicking the "private message" icon at the top of the message boards page in the grey block, then just type in my log in name.

Great report by the way. A buddy of mine captians the "Inlet Dream" for Captian Dicks and had a very similar report. He said the blue were so thick you could walk on them. LOL They are fun for a while, but they just seem to get old after a while; unless you get into the big 'uns. I figure we still have another month before we'll see spanish mack's, and maybe a couple before we see any kings with in 10 miles. It all depends on mother nature and father winter.

I hope it gets better for you this week! Good Fishing!

Bryan D.
[signature]

[signature]
sorry bout that. this isn't the 1st time i have posted and the message not show up. must be my computer skills. anyway, i was just wondering when the reds usually show up in murrell's inlet and if they prefer a particular area.
[signature]
I'm no big Red fisherman, but everyone says they hold in the deep holes in the creeks. I've seen quite a few caught along the jetties beside the rocks as well. Some times you can sight cast for them in the creeks with a spoon or bucktail.

Maybe DR will jump in on this one. He probably knows the creeks better than I do. I hear Whales Creek is a good spot for just about anything. Black and red drum, flounder, and trout.
[signature]
Hey guys, you can catch Reds all over the inlet. The back creeks seen to have the puppy Drum that are always tasty! Most of the larger one are near the rocks but plan to lose a lot of tackle. Like the old saying goes,if you ain't losing some tackle you ain't in a good spot!
Look at the pic I added at the bottom,this is what we always want but seldom get. [Smile]
[signature]
That's a nice bull DR, looks like you're outside the rocks on that one. [Wink]

I noticed the red line on the spinning tackle, Cajun Red I presume? Do you think that red line really makes a difference? LOL, I like it because I can see it BETTER. [Tongue] I always said if we can see it, so can the fish. But, it doesn't matter what type or color line I use, I almost always use a flurocarbon leader regardless.
[signature]
Yep,that's cajun red. It's some tuff stuff around the rocks and does not have much memory. The line takes a lot of abuse around the rock so I use 20lb and it seems to work OK for me. You notice I don't use big rods either! Match the fish with the rite rod and HOLD ON !!! Good Fishing To All.
[signature]
when fishing murrell's inlet, where have you had the best results? inside the rocks or outside? if outside, huntington beach state park side or garden city
[signature]
When I fish the rocks outside on the garden city side works best for reds and trout. The hunington side is best for flounder,lots of sand.[Smile]
[signature]

[signature]
here we go again. post reply and it doesn't show up. thanks for the info. do you know where the sheepshead like to gather in the inlet?
[signature]
If you can anchor at the small rocks into the wind and let your bait drift back to the rocks. Got to be fast!!!
[signature]
LOL, and be ready to loose a few rigs. [Tongue] Let me ask you this, do you use a bobber for sheepheads along the rocks or do you use a carolina rig with just a couple split shots or a small egg sinker? I know some people do it alot differently. I haven't had great luck around the jetties for sheepies. It seems that my best luck is on the reefs.
[signature]
i basically just rig with a #2 flounder hook and split shot. i use fiddlers. the ones i have caught have been in the area of the small rocks near that big old iron marker sticking up out of the water. my quickest catch happened when we had just anchored down and i threw out my line and started to reel in the slack and a sheepie didn't want it to get away so he attacked and he did't get away. he probably weighed about 3 lbs. but i really haven't had alot of luck with them there. the 1st 2 i ever caught was at the jetties on the huntington beach state park side. shortly after i had caught them some guy came by and said they just weren't in the inlet like they used to be
[signature]
That's pretty much how I do it around the jetties. Like I was saying previously though, I haven't had much luck around the jetties for them. But, casting to them is much more difficult than fishing for them vertically, which is my favored way.

I had one trip that you may not believe. I went to Beaufort, SC with an Army buddy of mine and a buddy of his took us out fishing in the bay. Our trip started by chasing down fiddlers on the bank. And after a few runs and some sore fingers, we managed to gather a couple hundred for bait. I guess the guy didn't believe in buying the bait when he could just send the two youngsters out to chase them down. LOL, I think is was of an amusement factor for him too. [Tongue] This bay looked more like the bank of a river. Trees hanging down in the water, stumps along the bank, grass............Stuff you wouldn't expect to see along a saltwater creek. The very first place we anchored off was about 5 feet from an over hanging tree that had a few limbs hanging in the water. No rocks, no oyster bed; it looked like the perfect place to catch bream if it were fresh water. I'd guess it was about 8' deep or so. We were using the standerd rod and reel combo for sheepies with a carolina rig and a small egg sinker. The second we baited up and drop our lines in the water, we began slamming the sheephead. There was nothing finiky about how they were hiting. They were slamming the baits like a bluefish would. Aggressive, un-shy, and full power. I was amazed. We filled a cooler in no time, litterly. That was some of the best fishing I had ever done, and it was under a dad blamed ol' tree limb. LOL, I never would have thought we'd catch a sheephead there, much lessly that many, that quick, and them be that aggressive. I figured we'd get a few spot tails or something, but nothing like that.

Those are the type of days I look to have. Quick to get on the fish and limit out/ and or catch what you want. Then you can Catch and Release for a while and head home a little early. It's nearly a two hour drive for me one way to the landing in MI, and that 2 hour drive back is what really puts a whoopin' on me if i've stayed out late on the water. If I can get off the water at a decent time, it's not so bad. But, if the fishing is slow, i'll stay right on through to try and make the best of it and still put a few fish on the deck. [cool] Now, from a pier the drive doesn't get me so bad. You can sit when you get tired, there's no hauling up of the anchor from time to time, you don't get beat down from the ride; lots of things really put some wear and tear on you when you're in a boat.
[signature]
when it comes to fishing i believe anything. a friend and i drove to swannsboro nc (not my idea to drive 31/2-4 hrs for a fish) we anchored under the main bridge there and caught our share of sheepies. the following year we met his daughter outside mullins because she was bringing us fiddlers. haven't found a place yet in nc that sells those fellows. we went back to the same bridge and caught NOTHING. they were absolutely non-existant. didn't get a bite. turned 400 fiddlers loose. talk about disappointing
[signature]
LOL, I can't count how many times that's happened to me too. I learned from those experiances though. When I leave the hill, I usually have 3 or 4 different types of bait so if one species isn't in it's normal spot, atleast i'm prepared for the next. Good thing bait isn't very expensive. I ALWAYS have a big pack of squid. It's so versitle and sooooooooooooo many different fish eat squid. I always have live mudminnows. Some other baits I like to carry along depending on the time of year is live shrimp, dead shrimp(cut bait), Cigar Minnows(when offshore), and of course fiddler crabs.

My only complaint is that I wish we had all the different species inshore that places like Fl and Cali have. Those guys are catching monster fish close to shore that we have to travel miles and miles offshore to reach. Imagine if we could target marlin 500 yards from the coast? MAN!!!!!!!!!!! I miss living in Guam sometimes. [Tongue]
[signature]
Either way. Try both and see which they like. Somedays are different. The less split shot the better. Doc[Wink]
[signature]