Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah browns
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]A friend just got back from a fishing trip to Utah. I'm not showing his picture for I forgot to get his okay. Nice browns you all have up there.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23958;]
[signature]
[#0000bf]Looks like a nice female and a male. Right on![/#0000bf]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there flygoddess I have enough problems telling the human males & females apart here in SoCal without getting into looking for parts on those little fishies.[/size][/green][/font][Wink]
[signature]
DR...while I agree with you on the SOCAL comment.. I am gonna take a shot at identifying.. I am just in that kind of daring mood... plus want to see if my thinking is right.. and who knows.. I may be right again.. so here goes..

the female is on top and the male is on the bottom...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Generally what I look for is the differential in the jaw. Males have that distinctive hook. You are probably right although I can't get a good look at the one in the net. Below is a picture of a male & female brown trout. While the coloring is off it is obivious sex is which .[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23965;][/center]
[signature]
the female is on top and the male is on the bottom...

No comment
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Sorry but the male is the upper fish and the female is in the lower position. Got to watch my description as this is a family site. [Wink] I guess that I should qualify my remarks by stating that I am referring to the second set of pictures.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I guess the sex of my fish the same way that I can tell the sex of flies.

If I swat a fly that landed on the telephone, I know it was a female. If I swat a fly that landed on a beer can, I know it was a male.[cool]
[signature]
[#0060bf]I could be wrong, but aren't those Brookies?[cool][/#0060bf]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Darn there FGD I can't pull any wool ooops fish over your eyes. Yup they are brookies. Come on macfly55 you were the one that was suppose to catch that - so to speak.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Wooops! Sooorrrryyy![blush]
[signature]
Those sure do look like Brookies in the updated pics. Male on the top, Female on the bottom.[cool]

Pics on the thread start are female top, male bottom.[cool]
[signature]
But you can't tell MacFly, okay?! he, he, he, he.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Glad that you didn't say the missionary position TN2 as the fly board has a reputation to maintain.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey TN2 what updated picture? The first grouping are browns and the second brookies. Oh I have yet to post the third group. Think that I will sleep on that thought.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
come on now.. I am still new to this.. I am barely able to tell if it is a fish much less what species... LOL>. ... I leave that type of stuff to the professionals.. or dare I say it.. the older fly fishers on the board??

but seeing as I was right twice today I feel pretty good.. so far..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]An easy way for me to remember the main difference between Browns & Brookies is that the brown has dark spots on a light background & visa versa for the brook. Sort of something similar when trying to figure out the sex of humans in Hollywood.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
For me, it is the white stripe on the fins. Then the darker GREEN color. I guess Dollys have the white stripe on their fins too don't they?
[signature]
[cool][reply]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]An easy way for me to remember the main difference between Browns & Brookies is that the brown has dark spots on a light background & visa versa for the brook. Sort of something similar when trying to figure out the sex of humans in Hollywood.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font] [/reply]

...are you sure they are human in Hollywierd???????

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I really don't know FGD for I have never seen one in person. Here is a discription that I found on line:[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]General description: Young Dolly Varden have about eight to ten wide, dark parr marks or oval blotches which contrast with the mottled olive-brown color of their body. The sea-run fish are silvery with an olive-green to brown color on the dorsal surface and numerous red to orange spots on their sides. The mature males become brilliant red on the lower body surface and the lower fins become reddish-black with white along the leading edges. Mature females are similar but are less brightly colored. Males develop an extended lower jaw which hooks upward, fitting into a groove which is formed in the upper jaw. A hook also forms in the females but is considerably less developed.[/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3] [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]