Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fiddlers pain
i talked to inlet convenience bait shop this morning about fiddlers. they are having difficulty getting them this year for some reason and said if they do the price will probably be $12 per cup.
[signature]
HOLY COW! [shocked] 12 bucks for a cup of fiddlers? I usually get atleast 2 cups when I go. That really sucks. Looks like I can scratch fiddlers off the list of "go to" baits if that happens. 24 bucks for two cups. My whole trip normally doesn't cost much more than that. LOL Bait is going up, gas is going up, what's next? [crazy]

Thanks for sharing Ron. I'll have to give Tom a call and see what's making the price go up so dramatically. If I find anything out, i'll make sure and post back. [Smile]
[signature]
maybe the cold got to them. i don't really know. maybe i will try live shrimp and see if they will bite those. i am definitely not going to pay $12 buck a cup. maybe i will chase them down.
[signature]
I talked to Tom from Inlet Conveniance and Fishing Supplies in Murrells INlet and was given an explanation as to the rising costs for fiddler crabs. I know saltwaterron and I have already talked about this in person, however, I thought i'd share it with the rest of you guys and gals.

Apparently, a major bait destributor handles the bulk of fiddler crab sales for a large part of the eastern seabord, including GA, FL, and SC. According to Tom, the prices were already high in all the other supplied areas except his area of SC. The suppliers put the additional costs on the crabs, and in turn, increased the cost per cup to us anglers. Tom is hoping to keep them around 10 bucks a cup, but like previously mentioned, don't be surprised to see 12 dollars a cup.
[signature]
$10 per cup? ummmm....have to think about that real hard. did you go fishing this past week-end? i see the t-storms are going to show up toward the end of the week. hope they are not too wide spread. how do you think the wind will affect the inlet as far as choppiness? and my wife has finally given in and said she would go along with me adopting a greyhound. film at 11..........
[signature]
LOL, glad to see the wife is stepping up. [Tongue]

As for the wind, it really depends. Wind is the number one thing that ruins fishing trips. LOL, that salty air ripping on your skin at 20 knots is no fun. Especially when you add in the fact of how hard it is to stay anchored, the hot sun beating down on you, and how difficult it can make it to just fish.

12 knot winds or less is really the best. Of course, no wind is even better, unless it's a nice cool breeze. Then, it's refreshing. Now, from the bank, it really doesn't matter much, on a boat is where you feel it most. But, I will say i've had some challenging days out on the jetties fishing because of the wind. [unimpressed]

I didn't get a chance to go out this weekend. Well, I didn't want to go out this weekend rather. The weather was kinda "iffy" and when I saw how pretty it was going to be this comming weekend, I figured i'd just wait for another week. I also saw those thunderstorms in the forecast, but they'll be gone come the weekend i'm sure. Definately by Sunday, which looks like the better of the two days anyhow. I bet there's going to be alot of fish caught this weekend. Finally the weather is comming around.

Isn't your trip this weekend Ron? What are you going to be fishing for? Oh, and noticed I posted a sticky at the top of the board about the pier fishing trip. Is May 19th good for you? That's a Saturday.
[signature]
leaving wednesday afteroon 3:00 will be back friday will post whether good bad or ugly (i love clint eastwood) that's why i was asking bout the wind hope it isn't too strong
[signature]
I don't think it's calling but for 10-15 knott winds during that time frame. Shouldn't be bad at all. Make sure and bring a rain coat, there might be a little shower sneaking around there on thursday and friday. [Wink]
[signature]

[signature]
another no show on my reply. oh well. will be taking my frogg toggs in case of rain but hope they are not needed. as for the 19th, i will have to wait and see when my grandson's b'day party is planned. his b'day is the 17th
[signature]
LOL, I don't know what's up with the post not showing up. I'll post an SOS on the Mod board and see if they have any insight.

Well, just let me know when you find out. We can always move it to the 20th if need be. Since no one else has jumped in and sayed they were going, it's still up in the air for the most part. Just let me know Ron!
[signature]
I have never payed for any fiddlers and had no ideal they cost that much. I have seen them by the hundreds on the banks and never knew it. Not to change the subject but on one trip I wanted some sand flies and couldn't fine any. I even called some bait stores trying to fine them. One said they would try and round some up and they couldn't fine any. I know how to fine them on the beach but none where to be found. Wonder what they would cost if you were to buy them. By the way I know now why some time when I post I'm eather guest or member. I been comeing here without signing in at the home page.
[signature]
That's right T Bone, you have to sign in or you'll show up as a guest. Sorry I didn't address that to you earlier. [Smile]

As far as the sand fleas, i'm not sure how much they'd cost. I've never seen them availible in a tackle store, but based on how much work it takes to find them and round them up, i'd say they would cost about as much as the fiddlers do. They are excellent bait for those who know how to find them though. We'd love to hear how you look for them, it takes a special nack to be successful at it. [cool]
[signature]