Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big fish rod options?
hey-i've been into mainly bass fishing with some small northern and walleye tossed in for the past few years.

so basically ive got a couple of medium spinning reels (6-10lb) for gear. i've had a stroke of luck and i'm going on a canadian fly-in trip this summer. so of course this means big northern and big walleye possibilities. i'm looking to pick up a more heavy duty reel and i was wondering what you guys suggest.

from the research i've done, im leaning toward an abu ambassedeur 5000 or 6000 series baitcaster. is there any other alternative for a relatively low priced reel with good line capacity for 15-20lb test?

sorry for the long post, and thanks for any input you can give.

Dan
[signature]
THATS A GREAT CHOICE. I USE THE SAME REALS FOR GIANT LAKERS AS WELL AS TIGER MUSKY. SPENY BUT WORTH EVERY CENT.
[signature]
I just got an Abu 5000 and so far i am very pleased with it. If i could only learn to cast overhand now.[Wink]
[signature]
I use Abu 7000C3, with St. Croix rods. Small to medium pike really dont stand much of a chance with this setup, but the musky, ahh...the musky. I have tried a couple different combos the last couple of years and this is by far my favorite.

Dont forget the heavy steel leader.
[signature]
Welcome to the board m_d. Glad to have you aboard. What state do you call home or fish for skie's?
[signature]
Thanks, glad to be here. Always like the fish tails [Tongue]. Anyway, I live in SE Nebraska where the 36"-38", maybe a couple 40" musky roam, but get a little more serious up in Minnesota where the big girls are.
[signature]
well.. sort of depends on what you'll be doing presentation wise.

First off, concerning Abu's round baitcasters, I need to recommend purchasing a model with the thumb-bar spool release vs. the push-button release. There's a big difference in control and comfort.

Here are two different series Abu reels I use often..

[Image: 2hf2mj6.jpg]

4600C3 on the left / 6600C5 MAG-X on the right - I've never had a whim of trouble with either series and I have a handfull of each series reel set-up on different rods. Only problem is they discontinued the 6600C5 MAG-X this past year.. [Sad]

I usually use the 4600 for smaller baits and the MAG-X for larger lumber. Folks like my brother think I'm nuts for using the 4600 on Esox but, I've yet to be spooled by anything using Power-Pro or Fireline. The drag can handle 'em just fine but, since I'm hard on things and I push things a bit I upgraded the discs with some aftermarkets. The originals will be fine for your first few seasons if you use 'em off and on and remember to release the drag tension after you get off the water.

No big need to get too crazy out of the gate with rods either.. St. Croix is right up the road from me (basically) so I've kept a few sheckles in-state here by buying some of their stuff. I prefer my G-Loomis Esox rods though. You can find some decent med-heavy / heavy esox rods for under $100 .. actually St Croix has a rod series out called "Triumph" they're reeeeeeel nice for @ $100 but you can go a bit cheaper. Gander Mountain's pro-series/pro-select Esox rods are a GREAT value - hands down.. there are others out there just be cautious of what and where you buy 'em from.

I seem to be rambling on here - hope this helps.
[signature]
thanks for the replies guys. i think ill end up getting an abu, but now i've got to track one down thats left handed.
[signature]