Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain Pickeral
I know its a little off topic but still the same family of fish. We have creeks FULL of jack fish (chain pickeral) and they are considered trash fish down here. I dont see them that way and they have great flavour. My question is how do I fillet them and cut down on the bones? The average fish is over 20 inches and they are easy to catch so I wouldnt mind feeling up the freezer with them. Any help would be much appriciated.

Matt
[signature]
Here's the way I cut up my northern pike (I imagine its much the same with Chain Pickeral).

1. Place fish on its belly, cut in behind the head until you hit the spine bone. Lift up, and cut along the back to the dorsal fin. You should be cutting just over the "Y" Bones. (it takes a little practice to get it just right. If you cut to deep, you can trim the bone tips out of the back fillet pretty easily).

2. From the top of the fish, you should see three rows of bone, the spine in the middle, and the tips of the "Y" bones on either side. From the top, cut down along the sides of the "Y" Bones, in towards the spine, and down along the ribs to the belly, along the length where you cut the back fillet. Repeat for each side.

3. Turn fish on its side. Cut the last two fillets off the side, from the dorsal fin to the tail.

4. Skin fillets, as per any other fish, fry it up and enjoy.

This methode might take a little practice to perfect, but once you get it right, you'll have tastey bone-free pike.
[signature]
Thanks for info dubie. I think I could get some good fillets off a 20 inch pickeral. I think people consider them trash fish around here just because they dont know how to clean them. It makes me sick seeing them dead on the bank with there heads smashed in. If your going to kill fish you should eat it, atleast thats my philosophy.
[signature]