Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hooks and Molds ?
I am relativly new at making Jig heads. The molds I have I inherited from my father. Unfortunatley I have decided to change my hooks to Gamakatsu and they don't fit in the molds. I can't seem to find any molds that will accept Gamakatsu hooks. Does anyone know of any molds for Gamakatsu 90 degree jig hooks. I am looking for 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 and 7/0 with 3/8 up to 1oz bullet or shad type heads that I can tye marabou to.

Thanks
Wyobraz
[signature]
they do make molds for gami hooks but there arent that many of them, ive modified my molds to except the gami hooks most times its simple to modify them i use a dremiel tool.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry I have not been checking in often enough. Modifying standard jig molds, like the spearpoint mold in the attached picture, is fairly easy if you have the right tools and a steady hand. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have over 40 jig molds and I have modified many of them to accept larger hooks for lighter heads...or to allow the use of Gami hooks instead of the "standard" stuff. I even modify some of them to allow including wires for making them into spinners or adding extra hooks...like my "double hooker" jig heads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most molds are designed to use specific hook styles, up to a maximum of a certain size. All you have to do (usually) is to drill out the hook eye portion of the mold to accomodate a different or larger hook. Use the aforementioned Dremel tool or a regular drill and bit of the proper size. Just be sure to anchor the mold in a vice, to prevent slipping, and then apply steady and controlled force while enlarging the eye hole. Be careful not to cut into the narrow gap that holds the hook shaft between the main body of the jig and the eye cavity. If you enlarge that hole then hot lead will come through and you will have extra trimming on every head you pour.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
HEY BRAZ RUN OVER TO ASHES HOUSE AND CHECK OUT HIS. ITS THE ONE YOU WANT. HE DID MOD IT FOR THE GAMYS IM SURE HE WILL GIVE YA A LOOK OR LET YA USE IT WITH HIM WHILE HE IS BUILDING. ALWAYS MOORE FUN DOING IT WITH SOME ELSE TO TALK AND JOKE WHILE YOU WORK. KEN
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thanks, maybe sometime I will get to see what he has. For now I have actually found what I have been looking for, and it seems to be working well so far.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Wyobraz[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]