Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
downrigger releases
The only downrigger release I have used is the cannon quick release, and they have worked OK. Has anyone had good results with any other releases? And which ones should I stay away from? Thanks for the info. Zugbug
[signature]
if the one your useing now works fine why would you want to change? as long as the release is doing what you want it to do when you want it to do i say run with it.. seems to me what you put behind the release would be more inportent.. lol[sly]
[signature]
One to stay away from is the cannon quick release! Try the offshore releases, or even the scotty power releases. These both have spring tension and are much more consistent! Rocky Mountain Tackle makes a light release that is also really good. (especially for kokanee) [url "http://www.rockymountaintackle.com"]www.rockymountaintackle.com[/url]

If what you have is working, thats cool... but, try something else and you'll never go back! The three that I listed are by far the best, in my opinion. Consistency is the key!

Good luck, bkidder
[signature]
bkidder,
Thanks for the information. I will give the three releases you mentioned a try and see which one work best for me. Thanks, Zugbug
[signature]
No problem! Be sure to post your preferences up here. There are always a few people with that same question.

Good luck, bkidder
[signature]
I like the Roemer release. They clamp on the line like a vise grip plier and they trip easily. They are adjustable and you can stack them on your cable easily.

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USER%7E1.HP-/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USER%7E1.HP-/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
[signature]
Are those the ones that use the little rubber bands?
[signature]
I've never seen that type of release before, exactly how does it work?

Wyobraz
[signature]
I'm sure you are familiar with "vise grip" pliers. These work exactly like them except they are made of a plastic material. The two metal ears you see sticking out from the right side are the clamp mechanism that holds it in place on the cable. The "jaws" are lined with rubber and clamp on your fishline. The fishline then goes through the clip on the end of the "handle". This works just like the release lever on your vise grip pliers. When the fish strikes it releases the grip on the line and it comes out of the rubber lined jaws. Because of the compound grip on the line you can put a nice bend in your rod without accidently releasing from the release but a fish strike will release it easily.
Here is their web address.
www.roemerrelease.com
[signature]