Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on the new shed hunting rule
What does everyone think about the new shed hunting rule? This topic has probably been brought up before but I would like to see what everyone has to say about it now that the season is open.
There have been several cases of people stashing antlers piles and hiding them, and there have been people who just ignore the rule too. It really sucks for the people that want to obey the law to got out on May 1 and not find anything. Recently I headed up to Blacksmith fork canyon to look for elk sheds I knew there would be elk sheds up there because the elk left Hardware ranch early and lost their antlers in the hills above the ranch. I found nothing, and later found out that someone had stashed a whole stew of elk antlers up in the same location that I had been.
May 1st is along time after the game shed their antlers. By that time most of the antlers are weathered and cracked.
I don't think that this new rule is going to work very well. After all they can't keep people out of the mountains at that time so the deer are going to be pushed around anyway. If someone is hiking around at that time and they see a huge shed what are they going to do? I know of several people that have been fined already for this new rule and personally I don't know how effective it is going to be.
Also, why is it only in the Northern region? Shed hunting works the same way everywhere.
What do you guys think????
[signature]
I think the few have ruined it for the many. They were out patrolling, as a friend from Coalville had a neighbor get busted.
[signature]
I think that it is stupid. For one they claim they made the rule to protect the wintering deer on the cache unit. Well what the heck does that have to do with the deer around East Canyon, the Wasatch front, or the Uinta's? Maybe I have not seen the bad people (guys chasing deer with atv's) the DWR talked about, but I think this rule is just dumb!
[signature]
What makes them think that the Cache deer are the only ones being chased around? I'm sure people watch deer all winter waiting for them to drop their bones. Down in southern Utah people actually have foot races out the antlers when the are dropped. I just don't understand why Northern Utah has to be set apart from the other regions. A deer is a deer! If you chase it around it's going to get stressed out and possibly could die. There has to be another alternative to shutting down the season.
[signature]
As with hunting in No Ut. Too many people in too small of an area. My uncle has been riding his horse collecting sheds since the 80s. He used to fill a trailor every year take them to Jackson and sell them. Its gotten quite popular as of latetly to the point that he's lucky to get 100lbs anymore. Not to mention there isn't nearly the same amount of horn being dropped anymore. So Ut is full of public lands unencroched winter range and 1/10th the population of people. [Tongue]
[signature]
I went to the Northern RAC meeting last fall and they were talking about it then. The DWR said there have been several cases where guys run 4-wheelers in a grid pattern looking for antlers. I have never seen this or any sign of this. They also have a group of biologists and other public individuals looking into the down fall of the cache herd and this was one of their suggestions. They said that there are too many people out in the field on atv's, horses, and foot that are stressing out the animals too much. Personally, I don't buy it. Several land owners at the meeting commented on the private property issue as well. It is illegal to pick up drops on private ground as well. That made most all the landowners really mad.
So like I said before- what the hell does this have to do with all the Non-Cache areas??????
I sure they change this rule before next year.
[signature]