Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pier get-together was a great time!
The pier trip yesterday was a great time! I wish more of you could have made it. Saltwaterron, Jimmy, Sailfish4me (my son), and I all fished the bulk of the day. Tbone swung by earlier in the morning to say howdy before he headed back to the home front. He had some great pictures of Drum, trout, and flounder they caught while he was over this way. Maybe he'll grace us with a report and put those great pic's online for us all to see. [Smile]

As for the fishing, it wasn't too hot; but atleast the company was good. We all met some great people (as always) out on the MB State Park pier. It's such a great place to fish and relax. At first it was a little cool with a pretty gusty south wind. But it ended up laying down later in the day. Jimmy caught a nice Pompano on a sand flea, but that was about it. I only saw about 2 other Pompano's come up the entire day. The small blues where very thick as they were being jigged up all day on gold hook rigs. Infact, all the bait in my bucket came from the same guy that kept jigging up these beautiful 6 and 7 inch blues. You couldn't have asked for a better king bait, there just weren't any kings around. However, I kinda figured this after talking to DR the day before. The spanish were everywhere, but we had nothing to offer them. No flounder or sheephead came up all day to my knowledge. Myself and a fella I met out there named Kieth Helped one guy land a nice 6 lb spanish he caught off a king rig. What a mess that thing caused when it stripped line accross the front of the pier and into all the other anglers lines. LOL, but that's fishing I suppose. I put a king rig out in hopes of getting something big on it for the guys to get a feel of, but nothing at all, not even a sniff. I did get one run though. I dropped a jackson rig down with a pinfish w/ a hair cut on it. It was down for about an hour before it got slammed. But, when I reeled in the slack to snatch the massive circle hook into whatevers jaw, there was nothing there. I reeled in the remainder of a mangled pinfish tail. I figure it was a shark by the way the flesh was ripped. I know Ron must have made 6 or 7 trips down the sides of the pier hunting down the infamous Sheepshead, but he came up short. I think he did get one bite though, didn't you? [Tongue] Atleast Jimmy caught something. Well, I did reel in a bluefish on another guys king rig while he was using the bathroom. So, I didnt' totally get skunked. LOL! Better luck next time I guess. But, it was still a fun trip and I look foward to doing it again. Maybe we'll have a few more takers and can have a little BFT fishing contest. The park superintendant would let us rope off the front if I let him know in advance. [cool]

Thanks again to all the guys that stopped by and I hope everyone enjoys the report. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but no one really caught any fish. LOL!
[signature]
was indeed a great trip despite the abscence of fish on our part. i did get one bite from a sheepshead and he left me nothing but shell. BUT I WILL BE BACK. like you, hope we get a few more takers next time. pier fishing is a great place just tp meet others who love fishing. jimmy didn't ride me too badly on the way home about getting skunked. i'll show him the next time.
[signature]
We were so close to not going because of the weather the week before.. Happy we did. Also to meet the people we did on the pier. We hooked up on some trout using a strom swim shad pearl color 3" and one on cut bait. No bait in the creeks yet but you can net up some large mullet. The drum was hooked on shrimp fresh off the boats. We did use some store shrimp one day and had some good luck on it but the next day they just didn't want it so we did a change on them and it worked. The flounder also liked the storm swim shad. You can fish with this bait different ways for different fish and not have to change up anything, its a good bait. I would liked to has stayed with yall on the pier but had to go. When I got back it was unpacking , yard work , dogs to feed and rest up for work. I hope it warmed up for yall, it was a little cool. But if your doing what you love it warm enough. I will see yall again and we want be in get home mode. I have more pics but these are the better ones, hope they are not to big and do show up. LATER...
[signature]
Nice Pics T-Bone.....Where did you catch those? Was it at the Pier? Man im ready for some Saltwater!! Ive been Hitting up the bass really hard every day I have off....Which is only 2 days a week Sad I have not hooked into anything thats worth talking about...Just lots of 1-3 lb Bass. I might have to make a trip to Charleston this coming weekend!
[signature]
LOL, well, atleast Jimmy didn't rub it in too much. It was such a great time and the first of many to come. This was the first time any BFT members had ever had a get together, and even though the numbers where low, it was a success in my book. It's always great to meet people and do a little fishing. The camping trip will be a good time as well. We'll be firing up the grill for this one. I'll be finalizing my campsite this week. LOL, i've been getting a campsite for three weeks, but something has always come up where I didn't have the spare money to book it. For sure this time if you're reading this Matt. LOL I know the Georgia boys have already booked thier camp site. I remember TBone saying something about maybe making it down for it too.

But any how, you'll get that sheepshead next time Ron. You're persistance will pay off. I was really impressed with your dedication to get one. LOL, I would have given up after the first couple hours of no bites. But, I don't think I would have been able to stand another 10 minutes in the sun. [crazy] I'm already starting to peel, and the back of my legs are pretty stiff. [Tongue] Maybe I should bring some sunblock next eh? [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the great report partner. It was a pleasure getting to meet you Saturday. I too wish you and your wife would've been able to hang out for a while. As you can see, it was a slow day of fishing. But none the less, it was a fun trip. Maybe you'll get to come down the second weekend of July for the camping trip. It's going to be a pretty good time. I'm hoping to talk my wife into tagging along for this one. Even if she just goes shopping by day when the boys and I are fishing. LOL, that's my only complaint about her, she doesn't like to fish. If I could figure out how to install a shopping mall and air condition on my boat, she'd go on every trip. LMAO!!!!!!!!!! [sly]

Those are some nice fish though partner, you got all of us beat this past week. Keep up the great fishing and I look foward to weting a hook with you in the near future! Thanks for comming out bro!
[signature]
These where all hooked on the north end of pawley's during the high tide going out. Once the tide got low it was best for the flounder. At the end of the rocks going out to the beach is where the drum where hooked. About mid way to 3 quarters way down is where the trout hooked up. You will see a flat rock of good size that you can stand on. There or back 10 to 15 yr. is where we where. I seen one man get 6 nice trout and a good flounder there also. I lost 2 good trout because of bad line. I new I needed to change up and paid the price not doing so. When the tide is down go out to the beach and drage the shallows, flounder lay up in there. Didn't see no bait but when the mullet start things should be good in the shallows, that is out there. I understand this winter the north and south end will be dredge and don't know just what that will do the things. Just have to wate and see. [Wink]
[signature]